Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

A-level Performance

Ben Jamin

Hi folks,

So I've just started my A2 music course! There's a 15 minute performance this year, for which I'll need to be playing pieces from sheet music to a backing track with the bass part removed.

Last year I did a few Rockschool exam pieces (pretty last minute, I only found out about the whole notation and lack of bass in backing track requirement a week before the actual exam :lol: so I had to scrap the pieces I'd already learnt and buy the book quick!), which is fine to the extent that it gets you the grade but they're not particularly exciting songs to play, so this year I was really hoping to do a bit of early Jamiroquai or maybe attempt Jaco - just something/anything a bit more familiar/fun to play :)

I should be able to find notation or transcribe stuff - the only issue is getting backing tracks of these without bass in! So I just wondered if anyone knew of either any places where said tracks can be acquired or any method of removing the bass from a track?

Cheers! :)

Get hold of the Midi file for your track - Google free midi for what ever track name you need, or do your own.
Mute the Bass track then bounce down to an Audio file.
If the Bass on the Midi file is accurate or close enough, import that into a score programme and amend, then print off.

Garry

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1368906' date='Sep 10 2011, 09:33 PM']How about midi files? You can add or take away anything. They'll not have the vocals on them right enough[/quote]

[quote name='lowdown' post='1368910' date='Sep 10 2011, 09:43 PM']Get hold of the Midi file for your track - Google free midi for what ever track name you need, or do your own.
Mute the Bass track then bounce down to an Audio file.
If the Bass on the Midi file is accurate or close enough, import that into a score programme and amend, then print off.

Garry[/quote]

Cheers guys!

MIDI sounds like a plan :)
Didn't know you could get free files like that!

Edited by Ben Jamin

I did whats going on by marvin gaye... you can get the book standing in the shadows of motown which has the bass part and a cd with the track on with the bass panned to the left and the rest of the track to the right... so you can play along first then pan all the way to the right for the exam...

I have to say good luck for your A2 course!

[quote name='pete.young' post='1369289' date='Sep 11 2011, 12:04 PM']Does the place you're studying have a music tech course running? Students on that course might find that producing a backing track for you will work for their coursework assignments also, so you might find some willing volunteers that way. Network network network![/quote]
It would depend entirely on the school facilites, I guess. My school only had one room with mixer and we couldn't record during school hours as the actual rooms we record from are classrooms! However having done music tech as an a-level also, the coursework is immense. 120+ hours of coursework a year. not to mention that has to stretch across several students all trying to use the same facilities.
I can't really be of much help as I just did a trombone with piano accompaniament for my performances.

Would it be an idea to see if you can get a full band with you? - all you'd need is your part notated. The other in the bands don't have to be 100% correct. xD
Its what I did for my AS - had a full swing band with me arranging something for everyone to play & have the original solo part to myself.

[quote name='pete.young' post='1369289' date='Sep 11 2011, 12:04 PM']Does the place you're studying have a music tech course running? Students on that course might find that producing a backing track for you will work for their coursework assignments also, so you might find some willing volunteers that way. Network network network![/quote]

It does indeed run a music tech course! I'm studying it too! :D
Unfortunately producing a backing track wouldn't help with any of my assignments though :lol:
Coursework coursework coursework!

[quote name='argm' post='1369324' date='Sep 11 2011, 12:38 PM']I have to say good luck for your A2 course!

It would depend entirely on the school facilites, I guess. My school only had one room with mixer and we couldn't record during school hours as the actual rooms we record from are classrooms! However having done music tech as an a-level also, the coursework is immense. 120+ hours of coursework a year. not to mention that has to stretch across several students all trying to use the same facilities.
I can't really be of much help as I just did a trombone with piano accompaniament for my performances.

Would it be an idea to see if you can get a full band with you? - all you'd need is your part notated. The other in the bands don't have to be 100% correct. xD
Its what I did for my AS - had a full swing band with me arranging something for everyone to play & have the original solo part to myself.[/quote]

Cheers! :)

We've got a studio that's actually pretty decent, but trying to find time for 28 students is fun yeah!

A full band would be really cool! Sounds like you had fun!
It's just the hassle of arranging it all, finding musicians and rehearsing whilst juggling three other A-levels - but I'll definitely look into it :)

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1368999' date='Sep 11 2011, 12:39 AM']I have a listing of real backing tracks without the bass on mp3 format, see the attached pic. If you want them pm me send me a cdrom and I'll burn them and send back[/quote]

Thanks! :)

I'll check those out with my teachers, the pieces have to be at a certain difficulty level but I'm not really sure what qualifies this year :)