Why become a member? ×

Cort curbow

Motocross_nick

Recently just found this curt corbow over at imuso [url="http://www.imuso.co.uk/ProductDetail.asp?StockCode=EG01929"]http://www.imuso.co.uk/ProductDetail.asp?StockCode=EG01929[/url]

wandering what people reckoned of them? are they identical to the canyon series done by tanglewood? as the only one ive played (canyon III) i instantly fell in love with, and may seriously consider getting this if its the same.

cheers

Edited by Motocross_nick

I own a Cort C5, which is similar looking to the one you mention, but not as flashy a colour scheme.

Once I sorted a bad solder joint, the electrics are good, and I can get a good warm tone.

My only real criticisms are:

The neck is really flexible and suffers from temperature changes really badly. I have read other reviews and they tend to agree - you do seem to be forever needing to mess about with the trussing on it, or if you're lazy like me, you live with it and deal with however it is when it comes out of the case!
I have found that I can actually bend the neck with my hand with little pressure which is worrying.

Secondly, and this may only be applicable to the 5 string, but the strings are too close together. This was a plus point and the main reason why I bought it, so that I could get my fingers around a 5 string, but now it's beginning to p*** me off and I'm looking for something new.

I would like to add that I've owned it for about 4 years now and played many gigs with it. Apart from when it had the bad solder joint, it's been very reliable and as I am used to it, the above are only really niggles rather than actual hates. Brand new, I reckon you could do a lot worse for under £300.

It is also worth noting that I used to be in a blues band that had the major hump with me because this bass looked "too modern". They were more concerned with that than the music. Glad I'm out of it! :)

Edited by Huge Hands

Hey! I tried one a while back. 4 string in silver.

I found it sounded a little sterile (IMHO). Similar sort of core tonal quality to some or the all-graphite status basses. If you're after an 'organic' sound look elsewhere. i have heard a few rumours about suspect build quality...

On the upside, it certainly projected across the whole fretboard with no deadspots. the EQ is excellent and the slapswitch is a real bonus if your usual sound is very bassy. It has a very clear (glassy might be a good word?) sound, due to the luthite and composite Fretboard (i think?).
i never tried it in a band setting but i would image it would cut through with minimal effort. not really the sort of thing i go for but the specs are solid and if you like it go for it!

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='158801' date='Mar 17 2008, 09:56 AM']It is also worth noting that I used to be in a blues band that had the major hump with me because this bass looked "too modern". They were more concerned with that than the music. Glad I'm out of it! :)[/quote]
Had exactly the same experience playing in a '60's R&B band using my 1980 MM Sabre - not exactly "modern"! 2 guitarists both had red strats, Vox AC30's etc, and kept nagging in a light-hearted way about the Sabre - it more amused than annoyed me. As I was fancying an old Fender anyway I sold off my 7-string (Listerud Totem) and bought a 3TS '73 P off the forum, which I love to bits and result; one happy retro band (still in, as a sideline to the main covers band).
Guitarists, eh?
Corts look pretty cool and good value.

Edited by Shaggy