Why become a member? ×

Downtuning advice needed

Ruiner

So I've recently joined a new band, having happily played in standard tuning for the past 8 years.

The trouble is, guitarist of said band, likes to write songs in 8000 different tunings and likes to carry 6 guitars to even the smallest gigs in order to facilitate this.

Now, I think I can accommodate most if not all of the set with three basses.

One tuned DADG
another tuned completely down half a step (dropping the low string a further full step to c# for some songs)
and a third tuned B F# C# F#

The only trouble with this is I hate having strings that flap around all over the place.

Is there some kind of technical way of working out what gauge strings I would need to use for each tuning in order to maintain the same string tension as I'm used to (I usually use EB hybrid slinkys - which i believe are 45, 65, 85, 105)?

Also any general advice from seasoned downtuners warmly welcomed.

Thanks in advance

:)

Edited by Ruiner

[quote name='Toasted' post='1366707' date='Sep 8 2011, 05:29 PM']Or, just learn to play everything in standard tuning. You don't have to be in the same tuning as the guitarist.[/quote]

+1

It'll improve your knowledge of fingerboard/note positions no end. Plus you won't be a hostage to the whims of an alternate tuning maniac.

[quote name='Len_derby' post='1366717' date='Sep 8 2011, 05:37 PM']+1

It'll improve your knowledge of fingerboard/note positions no end. Plus you won't be a hostage to the whims of an alternate tuning maniac.[/quote]

To be honest, this thought has crossed my mind.

I've always resisted downtuning in the past when guitarists have used drop d, preferring to work out alternative ways of playing parts, but in this band, i don't think it's going to cut it as a lot of the riffs rely on the impact from the lower notes :)

I won't rule it out though. I'll definitely try and work out some alternate standard tuning parts over the next few days to try next time we rehearse.

Edited by Ruiner

[quote name='charic' post='1366704' date='Sep 8 2011, 05:28 PM']You can get custom strings from newtone. I play in cgcf and they just made me a set of 110 - 50/50 strings that just have a tension made to suit. I'm sure they could do the same for any tuning :-)[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into this too

:)

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='1366820' date='Sep 8 2011, 07:07 PM']Get a 5 string - that's the point.

G.[/quote]

Never got on with 5 strings in the past.

Would seem to be the most practical solution in the long term.

Any recommendations? Ideally it'd be a jazz body but with p-bass pickups, but I could always get that sorted later.

Need a tight, well defined b string.

Are the MIM 5 string Jazzes any cop?

[quote name='Ruiner' post='1366658' date='Sep 8 2011, 04:56 PM']So I've recently joined a new band, having happily played in standard tuning for the past 8 years.

The trouble is, guitarist of said band, likes to write songs in 8000 different tunings and likes to carry 6 guitars to even the smallest gigs in order to facilitate this.

Now, I think I can accommodate most if not all of the set with three basses.

One tuned DADG
another tuned completely down half a step (dropping the low string a further full step to c# for some songs)
and a third tuned B F# C# F#

The only trouble with this is I hate having strings that flap around all over the place.

Is there some kind of technical way of working out what gauge strings I would need to use for each tuning in order to maintain the same string tension as I'm used to (I usually use EB hybrid slinkys - which i believe are 45, 65, 85, 105)?

Also any general advice from seasoned downtuners warmly welcomed.

Thanks in advance

:)[/quote]
Crikey :/

Well, could you just use a bass tuned BEAD? Would that be helpful to get all of the low notes (as it appears you don't need the open high G as much, and it's there at the 5th fret on the D string anyway)? I've tried a BEAD/ADGC tuning before and it has it's uses, especially with a keyboard player - helps keep a solid low-end going.

Best way of getting that sort of tuning is to purchase a five-string set and ditch the high G. You will likely need to file out the nut slots and possibly slacken off/adjust the trussrod (less relief is needed because the overall string tension is lower). I used a set with a 0.135" B string which was fine for downtuning a whole step to A as well.

HTH,
Ian