Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Big One

bigjohn

Big John just got a Big One.

Got a few questions. Alex is away at the moment which is a shame...

Anyone else shed any light?

1) I've found bits an' pieces saying this cab is "6 Ohm" rather than the expected 8 Ohm, because of the crossover. I'm a little concerned by this, as I'm hoping to run the cab off a amp that only goes down to 8 Ohm.

2) Does anyone know at what frequency the crossover point is?

3) Does it fit well on a standard Auralex Gramma Pad?

ta for advice.

Pretty sure it is as 8 ohm as any other 8ohm cab. Close enough for most purposes. Think it was initally a case of when you actually measure impedance, the relevant parts of the plot give it a 6 ohm rating, but many other cabs marked 8ohm are equivalent amounts different. Maybe he altered the crossover design too.

I think the Fearful cabs, developed in parallel cross over at around 800hz, guess similar for this.

I've used mine for two years with a variety of 8-Ohm amps. Nothing has blown up yet, but give me time.

A Big One will [i][b]just [/b][/i]fit on a standard Gramma Pad but you'd best not be stacking anything heavy on top of it.

My Big One has to carry the band PA (in a Gator 6U rack case) plus my own amp (either an OTB or a Line 6 Lowdown in a Gator 4U rack case) so I always use a Great Gramma Pad for the added stability and peace of mind.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1365636' date='Sep 7 2011, 07:24 PM']Pretty sure it is as 8 ohm as any other 8ohm cab. Close enough for most purposes. Think it was initally a case of when you actually measure impedance, the relevant parts of the plot give it a 6 ohm rating, but many other cabs marked 8ohm are equivalent amounts different. Maybe he altered the crossover design too.

I think the Fearful cabs, developed in parallel cross over at around 800hz, guess similar for this.[/quote]

Ok. Cool. Thanks.

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='1365716' date='Sep 7 2011, 08:26 PM']Look at post 50 on [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/barefaced-super-twelve-how-different-would-sound-normal-cab-704476/index3.html"]this thread[/url][/quote]

That's reassuring...

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1365927' date='Sep 7 2011, 11:37 PM']I've used mine for two years with a variety of 8-Ohm amps. Nothing has blown up yet, but give me time.

A Big One will [i][b]just [/b][/i]fit on a standard Gramma Pad but you'd best not be stacking anything heavy on top of it.

My Big One has to carry the band PA (in a Gator 6U rack case) plus my own amp (either an OTB or a Line 6 Lowdown in a Gator 4U rack case) so I always use a Great Gramma Pad for the added stability and peace of mind.[/quote]

Only a 3u shallow SKB X series Rack. SVP-Pro, power amp and RANE DC24 Compressor/Limiter.

Gramma pad is wider than The Big One, but 2cm more shallow... it's a poser.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1366016' date='Sep 8 2011, 07:27 AM']Just out of interest which amp is it?[/quote]

A [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=145859&hl=chevin"]Chevin A700v[/url]

I've blown a few power amps in the past. It's not fun. Esp during gigs :)

Edited by bigjohn