Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

SOLD: Mo Clifton Downright 4

pantherairsoft

THIS IS SOLD PENDING PAYMENT

Picked this up this week in a part ex deal. It's an interesting beast, but ultimately I am a 6 string player and could do with the cash more than the bass.

Its a Mo Clifton Downright 4 string from (I believe) 1996. Clifton is better known for his uprights, but does still offer the Downright, to a very similar spec on his website and the listed price is £1300 for a build. I'm told his prices have gone up though!

Spec:
Mo Clifton Downright 4 headless
Mahogany body with matching control cavity plate)
Sucupira top (I've never heard of it either!)
Very dark ebony fretboard (last few frets can be removed to reveal the truss rod!)
3 piece neck, Central maple stripe and what I 'think' are Bubinga sides
Bartolini MM-stlye pup with coil tap switch
1 volume, 1 tone pot which I told has an EMG bass expander fitted to it
Fitted with Schaller strap pins
34" scale

String spacing at bridge: 19mm (adjustable)
String spacing at nut:11mm
Neck width at 24th: 62mm
Neck width at 12th: 54mm
Neck width at nut: 40mm
Height between 12th fret and E string: 2mm (still plenty of room to adjust)

This bass has pretty awesome balance and is very light - I'm told this is the norm with Cliftons as he builds all his basses with weight in mind. Tonally this bass could be improved. With the 'tone' pot up full the bass sounds massive - very much like a Stingray, in fact so much so that it could be confused for one easily, rolling the pot back however gives a slight drop in volume and a slightly more passive P-bass sound. The bass sounds great with that pot up full, but suffers from a lack of versatility, at the mo its a one hit wonder (be it a bloody good hit!) - I think adding a modern pre to this bass would make it an absolute killer! The neck has a lovely round profile and is very very easy to play.

I've seen these sell in the Gallery for around £650-£700 and some more exotic ones on eBay for somewhat more. This one is old and I would consider it to be in amazing condition to say its age. It has a little buckle rash and a few scuffs and marks throughout, but only on close inspection. There is one noticeable small scuff on the bottom edge above the strap pin which I have photographed (in a position that can't be seen by the spectator!).

Due to the fact that I got a good deal on this AND that I think It could benefit from a new pre AND that I do not have a case of any sort for it (so absolutely NO SHIPPING!!!) I'm going to ask [s][b]£575 collected[/b][/s] SOLD
This is a bloody bargain for a hand built instrument of this calibre and I think the price is reflective of travel costs etc to collect it. I won't be bothered if this doesn't sell quick and would happily keep it should I need a 4 string one day, as such I'm not accepting offers. No trades unless you have a Moog EP-2 expression pedal or two, or a 1U power conditioner (Furman?)which I'd reduce the cost accordingly for.

Pics...

This just might be exactly what I'm after.

BUT, the neck width looks almost as wide as a five string.

Shep, would you mind measuring the string spacing at the bridge and the neck width at the 24th fret please.

Also, the action at the 12th on the E, top of fret to bottom of string.

Thanks fella!

Bump for a nice looking bass! I'd buy it if I could....but also collecting could be a bit tricky! Worth mentioning my 5 string downright (36" scale) fits in most regular guitar sized bags/cases.

I remember Mo being partial to those EMG expander circuits a few years ago - but wouldn't be hard to change for something else (ACG filter could be a lot of fun with that pickup!)

[quote name='BassBod' post='1364580' date='Sep 6 2011, 08:39 PM']Bump for a nice looking bass! I'd buy it if I could....but also collecting could be a bit tricky! Worth mentioning my 5 string downright (36" scale) fits in most regular guitar sized bags/cases.

I remember Mo being partial to those EMG expander circuits a few years ago - but wouldn't be hard to change for something else (ACG filter could be a lot of fun with that pickup!)[/quote]

I had read that the 5's are all 36" scale. That's a bit of a stretch for me, although I prefer 35" to 34". The EMG does seem to be a popular choice for Mr Clifton, although it's full on sound is pretty sweet so I can see why he chose it. ACG filter circuit does sound like a very very good option though!

Bump

Its funny, but the 36" scale, combined with no headstock makes it pretty easy. The transition to headless always takes about ten mins to sink in again...then everything's ok. Mo Clifton thinks about these things - one of his reasons for building basses was a heavy P bass that ended up annoying him.

I've tried to think up ways of getting the cash together for this bass, but so far failed. Someone please buy it..so I can get on with everything else.....

I'll start looking down the back of the sofa.....or maybe sell that lovely Sadowsky I've been hanging onto for dear life.....

Had a few PM's this evening regarding trade offers on other basses. Just to reiterate, I'm not looking or trades folks. I am well and truly GAS free for basses & amps!

I'll do a good deal on anyone wanting the bass and any of the effects pedals I'm selling. I've also added to the OP that I would accept a 1U power conditioner as part-ex towards this bass.

Bump for headless goodness!