Why become a member? ×

EBS V Epifani

BH12neil

Ok, having now decided to go for separates rather than a combo and being completely new to this amp game, I have looked at options from EBS and Epifani and would welcome any comments or advice.

The Options:-

EBS Fafner II Bass Head and Proline 410 cab

Verses

Epifani PS1000 Bass Head and UL410 cab

I play a Stingray 4 string HH and like a strong bottom end, I hope to be playing some small gigs soon and who knows where that could lead. Longevity is important to me as I see this purchase as a long term investment. The one thing that strikes me is that the EBS gear is far more expensive than the Epifani, however I don't really understand the technology behind these rigs so I am sure there is good reason for the difference in price.

Any comments, advice and help would be really appreciated.

BH12neil

[quote name='BH12neil' post='1359340' date='Sep 1 2011, 11:16 PM']come on lads and lasses give us a little help, someone somewhere out there in cyberspace must have some comments to point me in some sort of direction.

BH12neil[/quote]

Did you not get my message?

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1359341' date='Sep 1 2011, 11:17 PM']Did you not get my message?[/quote]

Yes thanks mate, very interesting stuff and I will be getting back to you once I have done a little more research. Just trying to drum up some additional comments from elsewhere.

BH12neil

Edited by BH12neil

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1359497' date='Sep 2 2011, 08:56 AM']I don't know about the rest of the kit you mention but the EBS Proline 4x10 is massively heavy. I can't lift mine on my own and consequently it rarely gets taken to gigs anymore despite the fact that I love the sound.[/quote]

Point taken and since I posted I have been looking at the option of lighter weight cabs but its so confusing, any suggestions?

BH12neil

Not a fan of the pillowy 12's from Epifani...I'd want the sound to be tighter.

But I guess you are going to have to try them side by side.

I'd be thinking the UL 10's would be a good cab to start with...
but 2x210 EBS would do well...although an expensive way to buy them

I'd add a an Aguilar DB410 to that list as well.

Weight can't be the issue here, I'm afraid

[quote name='BH12neil' post='1359528' date='Sep 2 2011, 09:27 AM']Point taken and since I posted I have been looking at the option of lighter weight cabs but its so confusing, any suggestions?[/quote]
As JTUK has suggested you could go for two EBS 2x10 cabs instead. Each is an easy one person lift but the cost is a lot more than the single 4x10 and you'd have to decide whether 4 or 8 Ohm cabs would be most versatile.

If I was in the position to buy another cab I'd be talking to Alex and getting suggestions as to which Barefaced Cab would best suit my requirements.

EBS amp head for me every time - and I favour the Neo cabs over the Prolines, not just for the massive weight saving, but I find they have a lovely hi fi tone. My Neo 212 is a one man lift and not a great deal less in weight than the Neo 410.

Fafner II looks like a beast (it'll weigh like one too!). I used to own a Fafner I and loved it, moved to the EBS HD350 as wanted to save the weight!

I own a Fafner I and the only two things that I would trade it in for would be a Fafner II or an all-valve Matamp/Mesa 400+/Trace V-type amp. The Fafner II is pretty damn expensive though (around £1700 or so I think) and has more features (and power) than I would ever really need. I would maybe be looking at the TD 660 if I was buying a new EBS amp, as the Fafner I has been discontinued.

From experience although they were great sounding, I found the Proline 4x10 to be pretty heavy, which is saying something as I have been using Trace Elliot gear on and off for the last 10 years. If it sounds right though and you don't mind the weight, then just go for it. For me lightweight should be an added bonus to an already good product, not a determining factor. Thus if I had the money a Proline 4x10 would still be at the top of my 4x10 shopping list.