Why become a member? ×

Help !!!!

Guest subaudio

Guest subaudio

Hi all, long time no see.

I have a problem with my amp, I have a GK MB150s combo and two gigs over the weekend, problem is the input jack is broken to the amp so I cant plug into it.

The amp has an fx loop with an in and an out, I need to pick something up tomorrow cheap, (under £50) to allow me to plug in via the fx return, to act as a pre amp/eq and to boost the signal enough to use the amp at a gig, I have tried my korg pandora but it's output isnt quite hot enough, any advice would be a life saver , I am starting to panick a bit :s

[quote name='subaudio' post='157401' date='Mar 14 2008, 01:50 PM']Hi all, long time no see.

I have a problem with my amp, I have a GK MB150s combo and two gigs over the weekend, problem is the input jack is broken to the amp so I cant plug into it.

The amp has an fx loop with an in and an out, I need to pick something up tomorrow cheap, (under £50) to allow me to plug in via the fx return, to act as a pre amp/eq and to boost the signal enough to use the amp at a gig, I have tried my korg pandora but it's output isnt quite hot enough, any advice would be a life saver , I am starting to panick a bit :s[/quote]

Broken how? Physically (it's physically impossible to insert a jack plug) or internally somewhere (no input at all or intermittent)?

Guest subaudio

[quote name='neepheid' post='157407' date='Mar 14 2008, 01:54 PM']Broken how? Physically (it's physically impossible to insert a jack plug) or internally somewhere (no input at all or intermittent)?[/quote]

Hiya, thanks for your reply

It's physically broken, so it wont accept a jack, and I dont have time to get it repaired, it needs a specific part orderd as the jack is solderd direct to the board or I would do it myself.

Some of these amps have plastic barrelled jack sockets that can break under ceratin circumstances (my original Hartke 3500 had the same problem as did an old Fender Champ I have).

What about a small mixer to put a signal into the Return ? [url="http://www.studiospares.com/Product.aspx?code=380760"]This type of thing[/url].

Phonic do a similar range and Behringer used to make the UB range that was cheaper. At least it might be a useful item to have around once you get the amp fixed ?

I use one of these [url="http://www.hartnollguitars.co.uk/products.asp?id=1699"]http://www.hartnollguitars.co.uk/products.asp?id=1699[/url] in my rack two mix two preamps together. One has a low output (same problem you're having) so I use the mizer to bring it up to line level. Very clean boost and under £20.

Guest subaudio

Cheers guys

I was wondering if a mixer would be ok with only using one of the left and right outputs, what is the correct signal type to send to an fx return (showing my ignorance further now ;) is it line or mic or something else?

I deffinatley like the idea of a mixer as it means Im not left with something I dont really have a use for when I get the repair done :)

Would one of those Behringer SABDI copies do the job output wise?

Again, really apreciate all your help on this :huh:

I can use virtually any active DI box with my GK MB150E - but that has the extra "boost" gain control. If you can borrow one I'd suggest the Sadowsky preamp (new or old) or the old Fishman preamp. From what I remember both these provide a fair bit of output and should do the job? Failing that, a one rack unit preamp (SWR Grand Prix...or similar) would work so well you'll want to keep it, but is obviously a bit more cumbersome.

Good luck

BB

[quote name='subaudio' post='157447' date='Mar 14 2008, 02:40 PM']Cheers guys

I was wondering if a mixer would be ok with only using one of the left and right outputs, what is the correct signal type to send to an fx return (showing my ignorance further now ;) is it line or mic or something else?

I deffinatley like the idea of a mixer as it means Im not left with something I dont really have a use for when I get the repair done :)

Would one of those Behringer SABDI copies do the job output wise?

Again, really apreciate all your help on this :huh:[/quote]

Some of these mixers have a "mono" switch that puts the same signal to both left and right outputs, so no problem there. Failing that you'd probably be able to pan the signal over to the one side anyway.

You need generally a "line level" signal for the "Return" input. A DI box might work, although it would be safer to get one that has some kind of "boost" in it as a straight DI box will usually create a mic level signal which might be too low for your needs. Also a DI box usually outputs on an XLR and not a mono jack so you'd need to have a suitable cable for this.

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='157456' date='Mar 14 2008, 02:48 PM']What about one of those little behringer tube preamps?

[url="http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/1937"]http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/fl...product_id/1937[/url][/quote]

That should work nicely, good high input impedance.

Guest subaudio

Top stuff all

Thank you, I have just rememberd I have an LS2 lurking forgotten in a drawer, I think I will try using that to boost the pandora's output signal tonight, I feel a bit of a twit really, I sold my EBS Microbass recently as I was just doing fully acoustic gigs on double bass and then low and behold I get some gigs with bands wanting me to use an amp, which I hadnt botherd to fix due to it being perma stuck in a wardrobe, doh ! a lesson learned I guess.

If the LS2 dosent work I will be dashing around Denmark Street tomorrow trying out all your sugestions.

Thanks again :)

[quote name='subaudio' post='157485' date='Mar 14 2008, 03:15 PM']If the LS2 dosent work I will be dashing around Denmark Street tomorrow trying out all your sugestions.

Thanks again :)[/quote]

If it doesn't work, I've just received the weekly Sound Control email where they've an offer on [i]this weekend only [/i]on the Tapco (Mackie's cheaper range) Blend 6 mixer. RRP is £89, but they're selling them for just £19.99...

[quote name='stevebasshead' post='157629' date='Mar 14 2008, 06:17 PM']If it doesn't work, I've just received the weekly Sound Control email where they've an offer on [i]this weekend only [/i]on the Tapco (Mackie's cheaper range) Blend 6 mixer. RRP is £89, but they're selling them for just £19.99...[/quote]

Wow, cheap! I'd agree with the mixer theory. Just one of those mini "notebook" style ones could probably do the trick for what you need, such as the one mentioned or the one that B*hringer does for about £40?

Just a question: If youre handy with a soldering iron, could you not tack a temporary "flying tail" jack socket onto the broken bits of the original jack socket until you can get it fixed? Obviously watch out for shorts on the damaged socket. I have said this without seeing the problem, so don't know feasible it is given the space and parts involved. It was just an even cheaper thought.