Why become a member? ×

Strings for a 6-string?

squire5

I've just bought a Washburn BX600 from a fellow BCer.Thing is there seems to be a mixture of strings on it at the moment.B E A D seem to be Rotos,the other 2 have different coloured windings and these are the problem.They seem very thin and weedy sounding.On my 5 string I use Ernie Ball 50 - 135s because I like a good taut string.What gauge would you guys recommend in that range for a 6er?Am I right in assuming that a normal 5 string set plus an appropriate C would be OK.It's just that I noticed that the G and C strings on this bass look and sound very thin and weak.Is this normal....or not? I'm new to 6 strings,and would appreciate a bit of advice.I've looked at Warwick 25-135 Red Labels.What does the team think? Thanx.

It might just be that the G and C strings are older?
Just get a new set (I like Ernie's) and then there shouldnt be any volume/tone differences across the strings. I used a Washburn XB600 for 5 years and i always sounded wick. Is this the one that cost like £150? That's a total bargain!

Truckstop

Yeah Truck,I actually got the bass + a Hiscox case for £120,which was pretty good.I made a mistake in the last post.The Warwick 25-135s are actually a 5 string set.I prefer Ernie strings anyway,but it's more the right gauge to pick than anything.I like a nice tight B,and I also want a good sturdy C.I suppose the thing I want to clear up is if the G on a 6 string set,is any different to the G from any other set.Sounds a bit naive I know,but hey you gotta ask.Also what gauge would a nice sturdy C be? :)

Unless specified string sets should contain the same gauge strings in the 4 set as they do in the 6.

_ [b]E A D G[/b]
B [b]E A D G[/b]
B [b]E A D G[/b] C

It's a good question to ask though, as some 6 / 7 sets can be different to equivalent 4 /5 sets.

Overwater have full gauge information online as an example.

[b][url="http://overwaterbasses.com/shop-2/bass-strings/#string_gauges"]Overwater String Gauges[/url]
[/b]

Stu

p.s custom sets are available :)

Edited by bleedproof

Hi Johnston.Thanx for the offer,but I'm in Downpatrick,so it might be awkward.I've been checking out a few places.Seems the Overwater might suit,for the simple reason that their B is a 134,while the Slinkys are 130s.The Cs are all 32s as far as I can see.I've just been comparing the 50 -135s on my 5 string,to the strings on the 6er.What a difference!The D,G and C strings are like guitar strings,not bass strings.
So I'll maybe give the Overwaters a go.I presume nickels are better than stainless,as they're a bit dearer,but I'm not sure soundwise.Any pointers?

I personally find that going thinner than a 30 makes the top string sound a bit like an "add on" - not part of your bass. This might be the effect you're after, but an even tone across all the strings is better IMO.

I also had a bad Warwick string experience so wouldn't bother with them.

Otherwise, same pros and cons as all other strings - you just don't have so much choice if you want a matching set. My personal preference is D'Addarios 030 (or might be 032) - 130.

Good luck!

[quote name='squire5' post='1350328' date='Aug 24 2011, 03:08 PM']I presume nickels are better than stainless,as they're a bit dearer,but I'm not sure soundwise.Any pointers?[/quote]

I use Nickels and feel they aren't as hard on my fingers - but that's what I've been using for over 10 years.

Stainless stay brighter longer, but playing style, sweat etc can influence that.

If you're looking to try the OW's go for the Nickels. I have a light set on my 6 and they're very balanced.

Stu

Just went to buy from Overwater.Filled in my details to pay with debit card,but the 'Start Date' bit was greyed out,and wouldn't let me enter it.Next I get a message 'Our records show you have a Paypal account.Pay now using Paypal' Tell you what Overwater..Nup! Don't tell me how to pay.If I wanted to use Paypal I would have used Paypal.Sale cancelled.Rant over.

Just want to say I take it all back.Overwater contacted ME via Bleedproof and the matter is completely and courteously dealt with.I have to say it's refreshing to deal with a company who who goes to the trouble of making sure a potential customer is happy,even if it is just a set of strings.I'm impressed, Laurence.Thanx again.

I had a bit of trouble getting Elixir's on my Overwater and ended up with the B string being a taperwound which works really well.
The issue was that i wanted light gauge strings at 35" length which seemed to be a problem when buying the standard wound strings. They don't do a B string in their light range unless taperwound. :)

Other than that i find they have a bit more tension than the Overwater strings but lack the edge of the Overwaters. I guess you need to balance whether long life is worth losing a slight attack edge of the new Overwaters.
Please note that my Overwaters did last quite a while before tone faded so probably better than most in that respect.

Cheers
Dave
:)