Why become a member? ×

Warmoth

throwoff

I know a few BC'ers have experience with them.

I just did a build on there for fun and did a calculation for VAT, Duty etc etc and it seems either their prices have gone down or the exchange/duty rates have changed a lot. A similar build I did last year came out at around 800 quid landed im now looking at 520.

I hear varying reports about them as an instrument though, anyone care to share some stories?

[quote name='throwoff' post='1348936' date='Aug 23 2011, 12:51 PM']I know a few BC'ers have experience with them.

I just did a build on there for fun and did a calculation for VAT, Duty etc etc and it seems either their prices have gone down or the exchange/duty rates have changed a lot. A similar build I did last year came out at around 800 quid landed im now looking at 520.

I hear varying reports about them as an instrument though, anyone care to share some stories?[/quote]

I've built three Warmoth basses. They're very solid, necks fit perfectly in pockets. The necks are rather deeper than Fender equivalents (though I see they now offer options). One of the fretted necks needed work by a professional luthier to get rid of fret buzz; the other is OK but could probably be improved. The ebony fretless board is perfect.

My 'dinky P' in swamp ash is noticeably light at 3.4kg, about the same as my Hohner B2A.

Don't mean to be rude, but are you sure you've added everything up right in your build? Have you included any finishes? Only reason I ask is I know Warmoth had a price rise sometime last year (or maybe earlier this year), plus the exchange rate isn't good at all.

I've had hardware and 2 necks from Warmoth, all of excellent quality. I always expect great stuff from them, but when it comes, I'm always blown away by how good it is. Only bad thing, as with all parts basses, is that resale value isn't good...but if you plan on building a keeper then that won't bother you.

What is it you're planning to make?

My Warmoth was lovely, faultless quality and stunning to look at.

As mentiones, if you want Jazz width necks you have to specify, my Jazz had a thicker neck than i expected (still a breeze to play) and it was a common complaint. All sorted now though as they offer J spec necks.
Also the steel rods can add a bit of weight to the neck. I had a Walnut body so it didn't affect balance but is you spec light ash or something then it might be an issue.

One thing is for sure - you get stunning quality parts at what i consider to be a good price. Not the cheapest option but the choice is amazing.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1350069' date='Aug 24 2011, 11:13 AM']My Warmoth was lovely, faultless quality and stunning to look at.

As mentiones, if you want Jazz width necks you have to specify, my Jazz had a thicker neck than i expected (still a breeze to play) and it was a common complaint. All sorted now though as they offer J spec necks.
Also the steel rods can add a bit of weight to the neck. I had a Walnut body so it didn't affect balance but is you spec light ash or something then it might be an issue.

One thing is for sure - you get stunning quality parts at what i consider to be a good price. Not the cheapest option but the choice is amazing.[/quote]

I've got a bog standard Warmoth Jazz and it's bloody brilliant.

Edited by desmondpot

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1350069' date='Aug 24 2011, 11:13 AM']Also the steel rods can add a bit of weight to the neck. I had a Walnut body so it didn't affect balance but is you spec light ash or something then it might be an issue.[/quote]

My 'dinky P' in swamp ash is almost comically lightweight and the neck doesn't dive at all. Might do with Fender type tuners, but it's fine with Schaller lightweight.

[quote name='bremen' post='1350090' date='Aug 24 2011, 11:38 AM']My 'dinky P' in swamp ash is almost comically lightweight and the neck doesn't dive at all. Might do with Fender type tuners, but it's fine with Schaller lightweight.[/quote]

I had Schallers on mine too, plus the neck and fingerboard was solid Pau Ferro and it didn't dive.
It was just something that was brought up a few times when i was researching Warmoths along with the old profile J necks.