Why become a member? ×

Fender blacktop, has anyone tried either of them?

willyf87

[quote name='willyf87' post='1346620' date='Aug 20 2011, 07:13 PM']As the title really, wondering if anyone has played either of the new blacktop series. I quite like the look of both but am intrigued by the jazz bass.[/quote]

Tried one in Guitar Guitar Epsom last sunday when I bought my American Standard P Bass, my comment was... nothing to write home about, same old mexican ________

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='willyf87' post='1346694' date='Aug 20 2011, 08:45 PM']How does it sound though, any different really??[/quote]

Well the one I tried was the double Split P as in the pic below, I didn't like how it felt, the sound was neither here nor there when you play the neck P pickup soloed it doesn't sound like the real P bass should sound. The neck is top heavy. Also I can't understand where Fender Mexico wanted to go with these, they've made a double P bass pickup on a Jazz body with a narrower Jazz neck at the nut, and a double J pickup on a Precision body with a P neck width at the nut, which is really like a pick and mix bodge to me. Might suit some people no doubt but it didn't float my boat.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

It's wrong - all wrong! 2 P pickups on a Jazz body? Whatever next? Basses costing £10k made out of coffee table? Necks and bodies in one piece like some horrible overgrown guitar? Six strings or more? Slanty frets?

To paraphrase Dame Katherine of Tate: The dirty bastards.

As I said someplace before... looks like a fender marketing ploy to me... nothing more.

Daft pup combos, they haven't thought it through IMO.

The Jazz should have at least one jazz type pickup, prob at the bridge position, same for the P, should have at least one split pea pup in the regular position.

[quote name='sime17' post='1346752' date='Aug 20 2011, 08:54 PM']Whatever next? Basses costing £10k made out of coffee table?[/quote]
Not sure it currently makes basses that way, but if you want an expensive guitar made out of old or antique furniture you should just buy a Martin.

[quote name='CrazyDavey' post='1346847' date='Aug 20 2011, 11:37 PM']2 P-Bass pick ups? Such a horrible idea.[/quote]
As for the two split pickups, Fender did this already in the 80s, so it's nothing new. Say hello to the Elite II.

Edited by noelk27

[quote name='noelk27' post='1347044' date='Aug 21 2011, 12:01 PM']As for the two split pickups, Fender did this already in the 80s, so it's nothing new. Say hello to the Elite II.[/quote]
Plus a lot of basses have split Precision style pickups,they're just in a soapbar case.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1347068' date='Aug 21 2011, 11:29 AM']Plus a lot of basses have split Precision style pickups,they're just in a soapbar case.[/quote]
A lot of the comments seem to be directed at the "look" and "heritage" of what's Precision and what's Jazz, why I highlighted the Elite II. As for other Fender concepts, there was a Jazzmaster prototype that featured two double coil pickups, so the "Blacktop" is just another variation of an idea Fender first had in the early 60s.

As for the two split pickups, Fender did this already in the 80s, so it's nothing new. Say hello to the Elite II.
[/quote]

...Say goodbye to the Elite II more like. And the preposterous Urge as well.

Anyhoo - I'm only riffing off being old and reactionary - I don't really care, 'each to their own' and all that. If someone wants an ugly bass or one which cost a mortgage and the custom builder couldn't even be bothered to paint it (I'm still joking) then it's entirely up to them.

I guess I've gone for enough marketing scams in my time like thru-necks, stringing thru body, hi-mass bridges, long scale yadda yadda to know it rarely makes any real difference. Less than a good setup usually.

It's inevitable that the makers keep churning out different ideas to keep punters buying, I just hope there's some good ones in there somewhere...