Why become a member? ×

EQ tips for common instruments

Skol303

[quote name='51m0n' post='1349080' date='Aug 23 2011, 03:31 PM']Ideally you wouldnt use a simple delay at all, because it will cause comb filtering and phase issues.

The editing the second track will significantly improve the situation. It is time consuming but it can certainly be done and really quickly in today's DAWs.

In place of that then anything else you can do to change the nature of that second track a bit (without turning into something pants in the mix of course) will really help.

Remember the ideal is a true multitrack. But even then you can treat the two differently to a certain extent.[/quote]

yeh when we record properly I double track most guitars. I play in a sort of "jam band" type thing where we just turn up and play, and I record these. There are no vocals so I quite like dominating the centre of the mix with bass, but that requires panning the guitar, and there's only one track. It's not important enough to chop up the guitar track and make it sound like another take (although i'm kind of lost trying to imagine what i'd do - cut it into 5% chunks and stretch some and squash the others time wise?).

Is there any way to easily avoid the comb filtering etc? Like pitch shifting one of the tracks or something?

Is comb filtering that almost metallic sounding effect that occurs with short delays?

(Yes, I realise "metallic" isn't a useful way of describing a sound but it's all I can think of to describe it :) )

Edited by Wil

[quote name='Wil' post='1349126' date='Aug 23 2011, 04:16 PM']Is comb filtering that almost metallic sounding effect that occurs with short delays?[/quote]
Yes, it's essentially like a flanger that's "stuck" (i.e. not sweeping... unless the delay time is modulated... in which case you've got a flanger :) ).

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1349116' date='Aug 23 2011, 04:08 PM']yeh when we record properly I double track most guitars. I play in a sort of "jam band" type thing where we just turn up and play, and I record these. There are no vocals so I quite like dominating the centre of the mix with bass, but that requires panning the guitar, and there's only one track. It's not important enough to chop up the guitar track and make it sound like another take (although i'm kind of lost trying to imagine what i'd do - cut it into 5% chunks and stretch some and squash the others time wise?).

Is there any way to easily avoid the comb filtering etc? Like pitch shifting one of the tracks or something?[/quote]

You are looking to move some of the initial attacks back or forward in time a bit, to loosen up the two tracks.

Another way to do it it to reorder the sections, or even swap individual bars around where possible.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='1350043' date='Aug 24 2011, 10:51 AM']oh that's an idea. The song i'm doing at the moment is just verse chorus verse chorus to a click so I can use each half with the opposite half. Nice one![/quote]

We aim to please, bud, we aim to please....

:)