Why become a member? ×

Public Liability Insurance - for a gig?

andydye

[quote name='civictiger' post='1347378' date='Aug 21 2011, 06:59 PM']You CAN stop the payments to then, thus ending your membership temporarely, but if you had say a 5 year gap and then want to rejoin the MU, you'd have to pay 5 years worth of membership as a lump sum to rejoin - that is just about its only fault.[/quote]
Erm...Really?
I stopped my membership years ago and have recently rejoined and only have to pay a standard fee. I've never heard of anyone
who has had to pay a back payment in that way.

[quote name='civictiger' post='1348021' date='Aug 22 2011, 02:06 PM']Maybe they changed the contract, so your initial one it isnt effective, but for my old Bass Teacher he had to pay 3 years worth of payments in one go to rejoin.. But he HAD to have it for this cruise ship gig so he payed it regardless as a lot of venue's such as ships and hotels/weddings really require this.[/quote]

For what it's worth,you don't HAVE to be in the union to play weddings/hotels and cruise ships. Some may require you to have public
liability and such like (like the OP),but you are not required to be in the MU.

I think someone has been feeding you a line.

The cost of most events will incorporate PLI and the venue will have to have it. Bands should be covered in this anyway.

Maybe it is a saving on their part to not pass on that to 3rd parties. Since events costs are massive these days..and the reason for a few not continuing, events might be trying to make savings and this and a few others are ways to do this.