Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker 4003 - setup advice needed

Cosmo Valdemar

Martin Sims -

[url="http://www.simscustom.com"]http://www.simscustom.com[/url]

Based near Bethersden, about 10 minutes outside of Ashford.

I used to have 2 Rics (both gone now), but he set up both excellently last year.

At the time I went in, he was doing some work with a chap's Ric that he'd couriered from the US for Martin's services.

Tell him Iain from Tenterden with the Rickenbackers sent you!

[quote name='4000' post='1343417' date='Aug 17 2011, 05:32 PM']Take it to the Gallery in Camden. It's not that far.[/quote]

I've had a couple of basses setup by them over the years, including an old 4001. Contrary to general opinion I have never really had good service from them (in fact I find them unhelpful and unfriendly) so I won't be returning in a hurry.
Thanks for the suggestion though.

[quote name='spongebob' post='1343418' date='Aug 17 2011, 05:33 PM']Martin Sims -

[url="http://www.simscustom.com"]http://www.simscustom.com[/url]

Based near Bethersden, about 10 minutes outside of Ashford.

I used to have 2 Rics (both gone now), but he set up both excellently last year.

At the time I went in, he was doing some work with a chap's Ric that he'd couriered from the US for Martin's services.

Tell him Iain from Tenterden with the Rickenbackers sent you![/quote]

That's good enough for me. I'll send them an email now!
Cheers.

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1313618325' post='1343803']
I've had a couple of basses setup by them over the years, including an old 4001. Contrary to general opinion I have never really had good service from them (in fact I find them unhelpful and unfriendly) so I won't be returning in a hurry.
Thanks for the suggestion though.
[/quote]
Martin is a very lovely helpful guy who will spend time with you. The other guys by their own admission are not particularly, erm, customer oriented in their manner.

Martin sorted my mate's 4001 to a fabulous level of playability, he reckoned it needed a new nut and he did a superb job. They will always get my custom.

do you think it would benefit me having it pr setup ? i mean having a new 4003, ive put ti jazz flats on it, i dont know how good a job ric do on a factory setup, like a i said im a noob to bass, but id just like to know everything is setup sweet befor i start taking lessons again

regards chris

• 2 weeks later...

well i took my ric 4003 to martin sims and im glad i did he done a sweet job on it, filed the nut down adjusted the relief, balanced all the pickups and individual poles done intonation etc all for £40 and more importantly he knows a lot about ric basses double truss rods etc, i went there on sat and he done it for me in just over an hour, his skill and experience on building and setting basses up is 2nd to none in my book, one of the nicest blokes ive ever met and spends time with you chatting we must of been talking for an hour and half after he done my bass he's so enthusiastic about what he does, got a great setup in the factory and the showroom where he builds all types of custom guitars, he's got some pretty mad basses and 6 strings there, seems like theres nothing they cant make for you there. well worth the money.