Why become a member? ×

The knack bass player

mentalextra

[quote name='Green Alsatian' post='1342425' date='Aug 16 2011, 09:19 PM']It's probably a thumb plectrum - I used one for a bit years ago when I was learning:

Nice bass tone on the vid.[/quote]

Oh, OK. Other than a learning aid, any advantage where tone or playability is concerned. Looks like a half way between finger and plectrum?

I use one occasionally, along with two metal finger picks. I bought them to use with my Banjo but I use them in the same way on the Bass sometimes.

I wish I could find a thumb pick that was metal, for moulding onto my thumb (plastic ones don't fit properly) but with a soft plastic pick part. I know American Banjo players use such a thing but it would be nice to find one over here so that I didn't have to order from America.

[quote name='mentalextra' post='1342441' date='Aug 16 2011, 08:35 PM']Oh, OK. Other than a learning aid, any advantage where tone or playability is concerned. Looks like a half way between finger and plectrum?[/quote]
Being metal they are very bright sounding. Also because it is attached to your thumb it frees up your fingers for variety.

I read this today:

[quote]Bassists: Throughout this process you should be using a pick, even if you do not normally play with one. The way we pluck the string with our fingers works very well when we're playing, but it just is not accurate (or consistent) enough for this process.[/quote]

Whilst looking at an article on intonation.

I then did a comparison using some software to capture the sound wave.

The pick gave a more solid wave, so I guess its true. I just didn't believe it........

[quote name='Green Alsatian' post='1342425' date='Aug 16 2011, 09:19 PM']It's probably a thumb plectrum - I used one for a bit years ago when I was learning:

Nice bass tone on the vid.[/quote]

Definitely looks like one of those.

But thanks to the OP for posting the video, I remember buying the 45 when it was released, great song :) And nice Vigier.

Here is a question about the Knack...

Can you name any other Knack song apart from Sharona? Do you even know of any other song by them that has ever ever entered the charts or heard being played on the radio, I certainly can't.

Mind you I've never been to one of their gigs either.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='KingBollock' post='1342448' date='Aug 16 2011, 09:38 PM']I use one occasionally, along with two metal finger picks. I bought them to use with my Banjo but I use them in the same way on the Bass sometimes.

I wish I could find a thumb pick that was metal, for moulding onto my thumb (plastic ones don't fit properly) but with a soft plastic pick part. I know American Banjo players use such a thing but it would be nice to find one over here so that I didn't have to order from America.[/quote]

On a five string banjo, what is the little string for that ends half way up the fretboard?

[quote name='mentalextra' post='1342441' date='Aug 16 2011, 09:35 PM']Oh, OK. Other than a learning aid, any advantage where tone or playability is concerned. Looks like a half way between finger and plectrum?[/quote]
Someone already beat me to it - they're very difficult to drop! :) As for other advantages, it's all down to your preferred right-hand technique.

You can still hold it like a normal plec, but it allows you to play using only your thumb (as demonstrated with The Knack's bassman), but with more attack than using the thumb alone. You can also get them in plastic.

Edited by Green Alsatian

[quote name='Green Alsatian' post='1342520' date='Aug 16 2011, 10:47 PM']Someone already beat me to it - they're very difficult to drop! :) As for other advantages, it's all down to your preferred right-hand technique.

You can still hold it like a normal plec, but it allows you to play using only your thumb (as demonstrated with The Knack's bassman), but with more attack than using the thumb alone. You can also get them in plastic.[/quote]

I have only recently picked up a bass after a 35yr gap. When I was a teen and learning bass I had a pick that was made of plastic, thick with a sort of twist to it, not like the flat pick. Can you get anything like that now?

[quote name='mentalextra' post='1342508' date='Aug 16 2011, 09:37 PM']On a five string banjo, what is the little string for that ends half way up the fretboard?[/quote]
I think the way to describe it is as a drone string. It's the same gauge as the highest string but as it is 5 frets shorter it is 5 semi-tones higher. I think it's meant to get in the way and make me wish I'd bought a 4 string... Much like my Bass (I kid!)

My Banjo is tuned g,D,G,B,D. If that helps.

[quote name='mentalextra' post='1342521' date='Aug 16 2011, 09:50 PM']I have only recently picked up a bass after a 35yr gap. When I was a teen and learning bass I had a pick that was made of plastic, thick with a sort of twist to it, not like the flat pick. Can you get anything like that now?[/quote]
I've altered one of my thumb picks so that it has a twist in it. I remember when I was a kid I used to buy plastic picks with a twist in them called Speed Picks. I bought them because they were 20p each.. They were really small though. Haven't seen one in about 20 years.

Just had a look and you can still get them, though they aren't exactly like they used to be.

[url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/3997-jim_dunlop_m10_speed_pick"]http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/39..._m10_speed_pick[/url]

Edited by KingBollock

[quote name='Johnston' post='1342534' date='Aug 16 2011, 10:57 PM']there is a pick you can get now with the tip twisted about 90o Rob Chapman is always singing their praises.[/quote]

Funny this song just got suggested for a mums and dads school night im doing the band for, hadn't heard it for years, then twice in one day