Why become a member? ×

USA or MiM P-bass pick ups

KiOgon

As in the title - I've got hold of a MiM P-bass that the owner before the one I bought it from, told him that it's got a USA pick up fitted. I haven't opened it up yet but is there any way of telling?

Cheerz, John

Thats a good one i'd like to know too. I have a set of both here and visually they look identical. The mex ones were allegedly put into a Squier and the US ones i have just ordered and received from Thomanns. That said the mex ones are still installed on the bass so when i take them out there may be a difference underneath.

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1340534' date='Aug 15 2011, 11:53 AM']Is there any way to tell by listening?

:)[/quote]

Maybe & you would think so - but I don't have/never have had neither another USA or a Mex standard pickup to compare to :)

[quote name='KiOgon' post='1340570' date='Aug 15 2011, 12:28 PM']Maybe & you would think so - but I don't have/never have had neither another USA or a Mex standard pickup to compare to :)[/quote]

surely the US ones sound much more expensive :)

Love to know the answer also when it comes

Edited by lojo

[quote name='zzaass' post='1341396' date='Aug 16 2011, 12:44 AM']Good Post !
if you put a meter across them, would the resistance measurements differ ?[/quote]
Bugger! I had it apart today & forgot to do that :) Anyway, there are no markings that i can see, now I've sorted the sponge etc the pole pieces protrude from the top approx 1/16", all of them, not just the A string like. Do both US & Mex do that?

Sounds good, output level is just below a Seymour Duncan 1/4lb which is nearest I have to compare, mind you it is the only bass I'm running on roundwounds at the moment. :)

Cheerz, John

:) [quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1344955' date='Aug 18 2011, 10:45 PM']Nope, no difference.[/quote]

That's interesting. I reckon I could tell if someone changed my 63 pickup to a Mex because when I turned the wick up on a gig it would lack a certain definition. That's not because it's a 63 but more because the Mex uses bar magnets as opposed to alnico pole pieces and the former is probably the cheapest way to build a pickup. (a Fender 62 re-issuse [i]may[/i] just fool me).

Maybe you don't gig the 58. :)