Why become a member? ×

Acid Jazz...

bassjamm

[quote name='Rich' post='1338978' date='Aug 13 2011, 06:25 PM']For anyone dipping a toe in the [s]acid[/s] water, i can recommend the 'Best Of Acid Jazz' vol.1 and 2 double CD sets. Available from Amazon for £buggerall and a great way to hear new sounds.[/quote]similar to Bilbo's post.. some are, but alot of the artists on that album arent Acid Jazz, associated with the time yes.. imo jazz funk and acid jazz are very different.. for me this a great jazz funk various album.. The Mastercut series..

or the story of Acid Jazz is a great album to start off...

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='Rich' post='1338978' date='Aug 13 2011, 06:25 PM']For anyone dipping a toe in the [s]acid[/s] water, i can recommend the 'Best Of Acid Jazz' vol.1 and 2 double CD sets. Available from Amazon for £buggerall and a great way to hear new sounds.[/quote]

Killer CD...Jessie is a cracker!

[quote name='Rich' post='1338978' date='Aug 13 2011, 06:25 PM']For anyone dipping a toe in the [s]acid[/s] water, i can recommend the 'Best Of Acid Jazz' vol.1 and 2 double CD sets. Available from Amazon for £buggerall and a great way to hear new sounds.[/quote]

+1 for both these comps. Great grooves, consistently high standard and thoughtfully sequenced too

[quote name='risingson' post='1338962' date='Aug 13 2011, 06:12 PM']Wow, a lot of these guys couldn't be further away from what is collectively known as acid-jazz, I don't know where you got the list from but it ain't really right![/quote]

That's the trouble with labels. Different strokes for different folks. You create the label, the next guy steps over the line. Many genres expand until they encompass sub-genres and sub-sub-genres. I grew up with Rock which morphed into Heavy Metal before it sub-morphed into death metal, speed metal, prog metal etc. Its all academic to 99% of the population, including the bands.

Wikipedia, by the way.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1340640' date='Aug 15 2011, 01:25 PM']That's the trouble with labels. Different strokes for different folks. You create the label, the next guy steps over the line. Many genres expand until they encompass sub-genres and sub-sub-genres. I grew up with Rock which morphed into Heavy Metal before it sub-morphed into death metal, speed metal, prog metal etc. Its all academic to 99% of the population, including the bands.[/quote]

Big +1...in the end it's meaningless.

[quote name='4000' post='1340628' date='Aug 15 2011, 01:19 PM']Always wondered where stuff like Zero 7 (who I love) fit into this.[/quote]

Zero 7 rode in on the 'downtempo' style jazziness that happened in the early 00's, but I think the labels that people try to tag on to them are insulting in a way because it trivialises their music and sees them pigeonholed with a lot of other bands that I happen to think are no where near as good. 'Ambient', 'downtempo' are just buzzwords that ensure Starbucks knows what kind of music they're playing, I think the same think about Acid-Jazz as well.