Why become a member? ×

Drummer Turns Bassist

JetKing

Hi All.

Yes, that's right I turned my back on drums to learn bass as my mates couldn't find a bassist for their band. I've been playing just over a year now and I'm starting to get the hang of it but I've lots more to learn. I haven't looked back yet although I do sometimes regret selling my drum kit.

I live in Belfast and have a day job that takes up way too much time that could be better spent learning songs and working on technique but that's how it goes. Our band is called The Idle Revival, you can check us out on FaceBook. I suppose we play a melodic/psychadelic kinda indie rock.

Gear-wise, I have an Ibanez JetKing Bass and a wee Line6 amp for practicing/recording. Luckily my boss lends me his Peavey amp for gigs but I'm looking out for a half decent gigging amp. I also dabble with a bit of Bass Big Muff Pi (a kind birthday pressie from my girlfriend) and I will definately add some more pedals as funds become available. I waste way too many hours on YouTube looking at vids of pedals, amps and gear that I can't afford.

I've just joined the site and I've already seen loads of info that has answered a few of the burning questions I've had.

Looking forward to a bit of debate and banter with you all.

JetKing

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1333043' date='Aug 9 2011, 12:29 AM']Welcome.

Why sell the drum kit?

I still have guitars / keyboard / bongo's :) but bass is the main thing at the moment.

I would love a full drum kit to add to the collection!

I'm getting a saxophone soon too :)[/quote]

Basically our drummer needed a decent kit and I needed the money. Plus I knew he'd buy it and give me a decent price because he'd played it and knew how good it sounded. I still gave him a bargain though.

I'll buy another one someday hopefully once I get some decent bass gear. Wouldn't mind a cajon in the meantime though...

[quote name='JetKing' post='1333758' date='Aug 9 2011, 04:34 PM']I'll buy another one someday hopefully once I get some decent bass gear. Wouldn't mind a cajon in the meantime though...[/quote]

I like cajon's and have contemplated getting one :)

They usually have one at the jam night, great fun!

I do understand the reasons for selling. I have shed a few of my guitars to raise bass funds :)

Edited by Blademan_98