Why become a member? ×

New (well old really) Valve Rig

Mykesbass

So, now I'm nicely established in my current band I've decided to go retro (well, I'm retro already - just thought the gear should catch up)!! so have just just relieved Beedster of his Peavy Classic Valve Power amp and Zephead of his Digitech PB8 valve pre-amp/multieffect. Looking forward to putting this together with my Purple Chilli and hoping for a lovely vintage vibe! P Bass build to follow very shortly!

Edited by Mykesbass

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='1326984' date='Aug 4 2011, 02:08 PM']So, now I'm nicely established in my current band I've decided to go retro (well, I'm retro already - just thought the gear should catch up)!! so have just just relieved Beedster of his Peavy Classic Valve Power amp and Zephead of his Digitech PB8 valve pre-amp/multieffect. Looking forward to putting this together with my Purple Chilli and hoping for a lovely vintage vibe! P Bass build to follow very shortly![/quote]

Sounds like a good move! :)

Thanks to great purchases from Chris (Beedster) and Mike (Zephead) and a couple of hours of perseverance, I am now the owner of a lovely sounding rig. A relatively lightweight (well I have to lift a far heavier mower in and out of the car on a daily basis for my work) Peavey Classic 120 watt valve power amp, and a Digitech PB8 valve preamp/multi-effects, going through my Purple Chilli 1x12. The perseverance was due to my very luddite leanings, I really wanted knobs to twiddle, but eventually got a nice sound out of the parametric eq on the Digitech. The sound is very full and rich but also exceptionally articulate - can really hear the bass being played (which means I'm going to have to brush up on my technique)! Seriously though, the definition and character of the notes is quite an ear opener.

Looking forward to hearing it in a band setting and also getting adventurous enough to try a few more settings!

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1337125' date='Aug 11 2011, 11:19 PM']Modernest valve rig ever. Rackmount? Digitech? Multieffects? Parametric eq?[/quote]

:) Only using the preamp setting from it and it is sounding very nice. It may yet get replaced by something more straightforward - keeping my eyes peeled! At least it's a Class D free zone - gotta start somewhere!

• 2 weeks later...

Got to gig this for the first time last night and really loved the sound. Hard to describe, but I got a very bassy tone, far more so than I would have attempted with previous amps as the definition wouldn't have been there. This set up was exceptionally articulate, plenty of punch and provided a much fuller bottom end to the band without increasing the volume levels.

Very pleased to have made the conversion to valves and pleased to say this is not a heavy option either!