Why become a member? ×

Tech 21 VT bass

thebassman

Hi guys
Ok so I use a Mesa boogie M6 carbine and boogie 2x12, my bass is a stingray 5.
I love this set up, loads of power and tone. I am looking to add a bit of valve grit to it, not mad distortion my bass xxl does that in spades.

Anyone got any ideas for pedal recommendations, I've been reading up on the Tech 21 range of character pedals, mainly the VT bass.

Perhaps I need to change my amp?

Any ideas/ experiences would be welcome

Cheers

Thebassman

[quote name='thebassman' post='1323377' date='Aug 1 2011, 06:44 PM']Hi guys
Ok so I use a Mesa boogie M6 carbine and boogie 2x12, my bass is a stingray 5.
I love this set up, loads of power and tone. I am looking to add a bit of valve grit to it, not mad distortion my bass xxl does that in spades.

Anyone got any ideas for pedal recommendations, I've been reading up on the Tech 21 range of character pedals, mainly the VT bass.

Perhaps I need to change my amp?

Any ideas/ experiences would be welcome

Cheers

Thebassman[/quote]
the VT bass is a great pedal, and adds huge character to a (relatively) clean amp like my genz. works great with my sterling 4 and ibby 5.

also have a look at the darkglass b3k. more expensive, but also more versatile and capable of sounding more aggressive, if you like that type of thing.

sorry. this is the 3rd thread i've recommended this pedal in, i promise i don't work for them, but i am totally besotted with mine.

edit. btw.. what style of bass tone are you after (youtube examples etc..) ?

Edited by phil.i.stein

For subtle, nicely meshed with your original tone kind of overdrive - I'm totally digging my Wren & Cuff Phat Phuk B. It's a little sensitive to the output of your bass - the hotter the bass, the stronger the overdrive. It's subtle which I thought I wouldn't dig, but it's always on and always with me, so it's doing something right. Some good clips on their website.

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='1323390' date='Aug 1 2011, 06:52 PM']the VT bass is a great pedal, and adds huge character to a (relatively) clean amp like my genz. works great with my sterling 4 and ibby 5.

also have a look at the darkglass b3k. more expensive, but also more versatile and capable of sounding more aggressive, if you like that type of thing.

sorry. this is the 3rd thread i've recommended this pedal in, i promise i don't work for them, but i am totally besotted with mine.

edit. btw.. what style of bass tone are you after (youtube examples etc..) ?[/quote]

Not sure exactly what tone I am after.
I just want to add a bit of warmth and the natural presence/ delay that valve amps give you.
My current Mesa M6 is fantastic but can sound a bit hard and sterile at times.
I have a tech 21 bass xxl for any crazy distortion sounds.
Cheers
Thebassman

The VT bass is not a bad idea at all, I love mine and use it everytime I play.

You may want to consider the EBS Valvedrive also. Maybe something by Dave Hall Amps?

When it comes to tube-like overdrive, theres a wealth of pedals on the market.

The Darkglass B3k from what i've heard is absolutely amazing, however still trying to justify buying (its about as much as my 100w valve head cost)

The Way Huge Pork Loin is also very nice for softer sounds and the Way Huge Green Rhino is also great for harder OD sounds