Why become a member? ×

Extension cab advice.

Benplaysbass

[quote name='stevie' post='1321210' date='Jul 30 2011, 12:02 PM']From what the OP has said, I’m not sure he wants more of the same: it sounds like he wants deeper lows. Adding another 4x10 won’t make any difference to the low-end extension. The only way of getting that is adding a cab that goes deep. I've no way of knowing whether the Peavy 15 will do that or whether it will be compatible. But it might, and I wouldn't discount it without trying it out first. Especially as money is tight.[/quote]

Then the aim of this discussion should be to define exactly what the OP means by "Oomph". I bet he wishes he hadn't asked now.

Ashdown quote an extra 23Hz of lowend for the MAG115 below the 4x10 so in theory the cab will produce 27Hz if the user were so inclined, but all I've found extreme low end to be useful for is creating lots of boom and window rattle and ensuring that I spend half the gig trying to EQ it out.

I bet our friend Jauqo 111X would love it though

Edited by DirkThrust

[quote name='DirkThrust' post='1321296' date='Jul 30 2011, 08:45 AM']Ashdown quote an extra 23Hz of lowend for the MAG115 below the 4x10[/quote]Quoting it is one thing, backing the quote up with objective data is something else entirely. They don't. Not that Ashdown is alone on that point, as no manufacturers do so. In any event 'there's no such thing as a free lunch' remains the operative caveat. If the 115 does go 23Hz lower than the 410 that extension is obtained at the cost of sensitivity, so it would take two to four of those 115s to match the output of one 410.
One of the laws of acoustical engineering is that power demand doubles for each octave of lower frequency extension. That being the case the notion that a single fifteen driven with the same power as four tens can significantly add to the low end just doesn't add up.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='1321310' date='Jul 30 2011, 02:09 PM']Quoting it is one thing, backing the quote up with objective data is something else entirely. They don't. Not that Ashdown is alone on that point, as no manufacturers do so. In any event 'there's no such thing as a free lunch' remains the operative caveat. If the 115 does go 23Hz lower than the 410 that extension is obtained at the cost of sensitivity, so it would take two to four of those 115s to match the output of one 410.
One of the laws of acoustical engineering is that power demand doubles for each octave of lower frequency extension. That being the case the notion that a single fifteen driven with the same power as four tens can significantly add to the low end just doesn't add up.[/quote]

There ya go. So if you want more "Oomph" you need a 4x10

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='1321310' date='Jul 30 2011, 02:09 PM']One of the laws of acoustical engineering is that power demand doubles for each octave of lower frequency extension. That being the case the notion that a single fifteen driven with the same power as four tens can significantly add to the low end just doesn't add up.[/quote]

Bill, I just love the way you keep quoting the laws of acoustical engineering and then slipping in a non sequitur. Nobody does it better - really. :) However, if you add another cabinet to a 4x10 that is more sensitive in the low end (quite easy to engineer with a bass driver like an Eminence 3015LF), you will add considerably to the low end. Plain and simple.

Edited by stevie

[quote name='DirkThrust' post='1321296' date='Jul 30 2011, 01:45 PM']Ashdown quote an extra 23Hz of lowend for the MAG115 below the 4x10 so in theory the cab will produce 27Hz if the user were so inclined, but all I've found extreme low end to be useful for is creating lots of boom and window rattle and ensuring that I spend half the gig trying to EQ it out.[/quote]
I have to agree with Bill: Ashown's figures are pure fantasy. I've tested the driver in that box, measured its Thiel Small parameters and published its low end performance in an Ashdown cabinet on this forum. It has no low end to speak of - by which I mean below 100Hz - and it has a bad peak at around 100Hz, which is no doubt the boom that you were trying to get rid of. The MAG 15 may well be the cheapest 1x15 on the market, and it shows. If you were looking to add low end to a 4x10, it's not surprising you failed.

Looks like I opened a can of worms here, but a good debate none the less. From what I gather reading all the comments the Mag 115 cab could possibly give a boomy bottom end and the Peavey 115 cab come to that. So adding the Mag410 cab could be the answer to a bit of extra grunt when playing outside and bigger than normal venues (not going to carry that lot around everywhere) I understand that the 4 10's will push more air. The speakers in the combo must be running at 8ohms (trying to get it right in my head) so adding an 8ohm cab will have the amp running at 4ohms. All good stuff, you are enlightening me on a lot of variables.

Got to be careful on the woman front as mine is the singer, so won't be able to get away with much. But the food yes!!!! every gig we play out here in France is normally accompanied with four or five courses and all the drink you can get down your neck(not always a good idea when your playing).

[quote name='Benplaysbass' post='1321472' date='Jul 30 2011, 04:58 PM']....every gig we play out here in France is normally accompanied with four or five courses and all the drink you can get down your neck(not always a good idea when your playing)....[/quote]
.... but always a good idea if it's free!!!

[quote name='stevie' post='1321364' date='Jul 30 2011, 03:10 PM']I have to agree with Bill: Ashown's figures are pure fantasy. I've tested the driver in that box, measured its Thiel Small parameters and published its low end performance in an Ashdown cabinet on this forum. It has no low end to speak of - by which I mean below 100Hz - and it has a bad peak at around 100Hz, which is no doubt the boom that you were trying to get rid of. The MAG 15 may well be the cheapest 1x15 on the market, and it shows. If you were looking to add low end to a 4x10, it's not surprising you failed.[/quote]

I've never actually used those cabs. I haven't fallen for the "add a 15 for more low end" for many years. If I was in the OP's position I would get a 4x10, which is exactly what I was suggesting and my response to Bill's post was agreement. Jesus H Christ. You really are a piece of work.

[quote name='Benplaysbass' post='1321472' date='Jul 30 2011, 04:58 PM']Got to be careful on the woman front as mine is the singer, so won't be able to get away with much. But the food yes!!!! every gig we play out here in France is normally accompanied with four or five courses and all the drink you can get down your neck(not always a good idea when your playing).[/quote]

Well drink aside (as I don`t) those gigs sound great. Four of five course meal as part of the rider/payment. I think I would become very large, in a remarkably short time-span.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1321652' date='Jul 30 2011, 09:09 PM']Well drink aside (as I don`t) those gigs sound great. Four of five course meal as part of the rider/payment. I think I would become very large, in a remarkably short time-span.[/quote]

It is a bit of an issue here, they love to eat. Tomorrow night for example...aperitif, starter, main, dessert, cheese course and free wine all through the meal. Got to keep our drummer off the red stuff or we are in trouble.

Edited by Benplaysbass