Why become a member? ×

Ampeg Pf-115he OR Barefaced??

tomdowner@gmail.com

Ok, here's an interesting one for ya'll...

I've just - as in last week - bought myself a pf-500 with pf-115he head, I'm pretty happy with it. Don't have too many complaints. The head is nice and loud, the cab is warm and able to produce the lows that I'm after...

HOWEVER

I noticed these amazing beasts made by Barefaced today. They look awesome, have lows, solid ones at that and from what I can gather, have a very big sound. All of these things; I'm after!

So, my question is... what do I do??!? Should I stick (with my Ampeg cab) or twist (and get a barefaced compact) and take my Ampeg back for a refund. Price is a consideration, I might be looking at some kind of used Barefaced.

All opinions, thoughts and hints are welcomed

:) :)

Edited by [email protected]

[quote name='[email protected]' post='1313145' date='Jul 22 2011, 07:46 PM']I know!! Should I be tempted?

I was actually hoping for one with a tweeter. Are you voting for the bassfaced??[/quote]

Be tempted. Be very tempted. As far as I am aware there has never been a Compact with tweeter, but it could be an option if you wanted to commission one.

TBH I'm not sure it needs one. There is a lot more top end in these cabs than you might think. Besides, that's what the EQ on your amp/bass is for!

I haven't looked at the ad for this particular Compact, but if you can pick one up for £300-350 what have you to lose? If it's not your thing you could easily sell it on for the same price. They don't come up used very often and when they do they tend to go very quickly...

Edited by Conan

If it helps, the lack of tweeter should not be a problem for you - I actually found the Compact I had (a loan one) was a little TOO trebly for me. That's not to say it was lacking bass, but I found it quite high-mid focussed when I was expecting a dark and wooly (in a good way) sound! What didn't help was that I was underpowering it a bit, using a GK Backline 600 which didn't have enough balls to really get that driver going!

Right, all understood. I've even read this paragraph on the barefaced compact website

[i]What about a tweeter?
If you just want a nice clear sound, with some treble bite when you pop a note and enough brightness to always hear the details of your playing then this cab does all that without the cost, weight and complexity of a good tweeter system or without the numerous sonic downsides of cheaper and less well designed tweeters. If you like the extended highs of a high quality tweeter then we recommend our Midget T or Super Twelve T as adding a tweeter to the Compact would cause inconsistent polar response due to the mellower off-axis response of the Compact's larger woofer.[/i]

But I can't help but notice the Super Twelve...

[attachment=85367:spec_box...r_twelve.jpg]

Either way, am I assuming the consensus is return the Ampeg?

Edited by [email protected]

The Compact is a simply unbelievable cabinet. I too have also found that, when played at least louder than bedroom volume, the amount of treble available is actually more than enough for most things which makes it a pretty pleasing cabinet to EQ.

Obviously, it would be good advice to try one for yourself, but I would step my toes on the line and say that it seems like a fairly hard cabinet not to like, especially given the time to get used to it :) .[quote name='[email protected]' post='1313234' date='Jul 22 2011, 09:02 PM']Right, all understood. I've even read this paragraph on the barefaced compact website

[i]What about a tweeter?
If you just want a nice clear sound, with some treble bite when you pop a note and enough brightness to always hear the details of your playing then this cab does all that without the cost, weight and complexity of a good tweeter system or without the numerous sonic downsides of cheaper and less well designed tweeters. If you like the extended highs of a high quality tweeter then we recommend our Midget T or Super Twelve T as adding a tweeter to the Compact would cause inconsistent polar response due to the mellower off-axis response of the Compact's larger woofer.[/i]

But I can't help but notice the Super Twelve...

[attachment=85367:spec_box...r_twelve.jpg]

Either way, am I assuming the consensus is return the Ampeg?[/quote]

My rig is a PF-500 with a Compact and it's amazing. Though I don't have experience with the newer Ampeg cabs, I switched from a SVT610HLF to the Compact and it's just as loud and deep. Much clearer too.

Go Barefaced...it'll change your life!

Edited by Matt_Arlita

[quote name='Matt_Arlita' post='1313822' date='Jul 23 2011, 02:03 PM']My rig is a PF-500 with a Compact and it's amazing. Though I don't have experience with the newer Ampeg cabs, I switched from a SVT610HLF to the Compact and it's just as loud and deep. Much clearer too.

Go Barefaced...it'll change your life![/quote]

Thats nice to read, especially as I`m picking up a Compact tomorrow, to be paired with my PF-500 :)

Barefaced. Can't rate them enough.
But you'll struggle to find a used one, midgets rarely come up and usually don't last long. Compacts, it's usually the older ones that come up which are little heavier in IMO look a little ugly.

The super twelve is by far the best of the modular range. Being the lowest and loudest, will having very nice mids.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1313866' date='Jul 23 2011, 02:58 PM']Thats nice to read, especially as I`m picking up a Compact tomorrow, to be paired with my PF-500 :)[/quote]

Soooo.... how does it sound Lozz???

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1314365' date='Jul 24 2011, 12:18 AM']Barefaced. Can't rate them enough.
But you'll struggle to find a used one, midgets rarely come up and usually don't last long. Compacts, it's usually the older ones that come up which are little heavier in IMO look a little ugly.

The super twelve is by far the best of the modular range. Being the lowest and loudest, will having very nice mids.[/quote]

Would that be a vote for the Super Twelve? I'm considering that or a Compact with a possible Midget addition later. I've emailed Alex with a few YouTube clips but am interested to hear everyones thoughts.

:)

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1315252' date='Jul 24 2011, 10:41 PM']IMO nothing sounds as good as an Ampeg cab.[/quote]

Must admit, am with you there Wayne, I love Ampeg cabs, would dearly like to be able to use them, but I just can`t lift them anymore, my back "goes" everytime, so have to do without from now on :)

The only possibility is the Pro Neo Series, but a bit beyond my means - and still a bit heavy at 64lb for a 4x10.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1315627' date='Jul 25 2011, 12:36 PM']Must admit, am with you there Wayne, I love Ampeg cabs, would dearly like to be able to use them, but I just can`t lift them anymore, my back "goes" everytime, so have to do without from now on :)

The only possibility is the Pro Neo Series, but a bit beyond my means - and still a bit heavy at 64lb for a 4x10.[/quote]

That's not too bad, my GK Neo 412 is 90Lbs.

Having used both Ampeg and BareFaced, and liked both - I have to say that the combination of tone, volume and low mass makes the BFB cabs the outright winner for me.

Rich bass and lots of it. And even my 2x15 vintage is a one handed lift if I'm showing off! The Compact is so light that the first time I picked one up, I genuinely thought that they had forgotten to put a driver in it! :) :)

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1315631' date='Jul 25 2011, 12:38 PM']That's not too bad, my GK Neo 412 is 90Lbs.[/quote]
My old Marshall VBC was something like 100Lbs. And I wonder why I can`t move properly anymore!

I`ve given it a blast at home levels. First impressions are that it will work nicely. At similar settings, it seems as loud as my Eden Nemesis 410, which works very well live - only need the volume on 3 or 4 for gigs.

The Barefaced has a very nice tone to it, and I find I can add mids without any "scratchiness" they just seem to add bulk to the sound. And the fact there is no tweeter is not a concern. This cab really produces the highs if they are dialled in. And the lows. Well obviously being a 15, you would expect lows, but this cab, no matter what lows are dialled in, doesn`t splurge the lows, they get very fat and deep, but each note retains its clarity.

Of course, the true test will be with my band, and I will do a complete review afterwards.