Why become a member? ×

Sandberg Basic Ken Taylor

TRBboy

I am seriously contemplating a Sanberg basic Ken Taylor 4 at the moment, but nowhere within a couple of hours drive seems to stock them.

I know it's a bit cheeky, but just wondered if anyone's got one who doesn't live too far away that I could have a go on? I live in Herefordshire, so pretty much anywhere West Midlands, up to Birmingham, down to Bristol or across into Wales would be OK.

Also, has anyone else got experience of these basses? Owned or played one?

Thanks.

I had a Basic KT5 a couple of years back as a (cheaper) replacement for a Stingray 5 that I sold to fund some GAS.

Build quality was pretty good (typical Sandberg) and the neck profile and string spacing wasn't far off the SR5 (good for me). Sound wise though I was a bit less impressed; with the 2 pickup setup there was plenty of variation but to me they all seemed to be slightly on the dark side (the pups were Delanos IIRC). I couldn't get a decent cut-through sound when I wanted it - maybe there was one in there but I couldn't get it. On the other hand I couldn't get the thump/punch of a P bass either so ultimately I decided to let it go and I went back to an MM when funds allowed it.

This is only IMHO, the sound might work for you......I don't tend to do subtle well, i.e. I like P bass 'thump' or Ray 'grit' - your mileage may vary....

[quote name='TRBboy' post='1308412' date='Jul 18 2011, 08:50 PM']I am seriously contemplating a Sanberg basic Ken Taylor 4 at the moment, but nowhere within a couple of hours drive seems to stock them.[/quote]
Have you phoned PMT Birmingham ? They usually have a load of Sandbergs in, i've definitely some Basics there in the past.

[quote name='martthebass' post='1309067' date='Jul 19 2011, 12:58 PM']I had a Basic KT5 a couple of years back as a (cheaper) replacement for a Stingray 5 that I sold to fund some GAS.

Build quality was pretty good (typical Sandberg) and the neck profile and string spacing wasn't far off the SR5 (good for me). Sound wise though I was a bit less impressed; with the 2 pickup setup there was plenty of variation but to me they all seemed to be slightly on the dark side (the pups were Delanos IIRC). I couldn't get a decent cut-through sound when I wanted it - maybe there was one in there but I couldn't get it. On the other hand I couldn't get the thump/punch of a P bass either so ultimately I decided to let it go and I went back to an MM when funds allowed it.

This is only IMHO, the sound might work for you......I don't tend to do subtle well, i.e. I like P bass 'thump' or Ray 'grit' - your mileage may vary....[/quote]

I'm kinda surprised, 'cause I don't find my Basic to be "subtle" at all! It's got a great punchy growl but is incredibly defined and cuts through really well. I find that it could almost do with being a bit darker sounding - if you want to get a slightly woolly/muddy p type tone, you haven't got a chance!

Interesting though...... thanks for your comments.

[quote name='Machines' post='1309108' date='Jul 19 2011, 01:31 PM']Have you phoned PMT Birmingham ? They usually have a load of Sandbergs in, i've definitely some Basics there in the past.[/quote]

Yeah I spoke to them at the weekend. They haven't had any more stock since I was in there a month or so ago. They have got a Basic, a Cali PM and a Bullet (I think), but that's it. There's a KT at their Norwich store which they could get shipped across, but want me to pay a 10% deposit before they get it in!

[quote name='TRBboy' post='1309373' date='Jul 19 2011, 05:09 PM']Yeah I spoke to them at the weekend. They haven't had any more stock since I was in there a month or so ago. They have got a Basic, a Cali PM and a Bullet (I think), but that's it. There's a KT at their Norwich store which they could get shipped across, but want me to pay a 10% deposit before they get it in![/quote]

They want you to pay a 10% deposit for them to shift stock from one of their shops to another? You'd have thought they'd be glad of the CHANCE of a sale! With that attitude they've no chance!!!

[quote name='Bigwan' post='1310212' date='Jul 20 2011, 12:31 PM']They want you to pay a 10% deposit for them to shift stock from one of their shops to another? You'd have thought they'd be glad of the CHANCE of a sale! With that attitude they've no chance!!![/quote]

They say it's so they've got a guarantee that you'll actually turn up and try it, and CAN be refunded if you don't want it. Just kinda puts me off a little. It sounds like the bass has been knocking around for a fair while too as it's been in most of the PMT stores by the sound of it!

[quote name='TRBboy' post='1309373' date='Jul 19 2011, 05:09 PM']Yeah I spoke to them at the weekend. They haven't had any more stock since I was in there a month or so ago. They have got a Basic, a Cali PM and a Bullet (I think), but that's it. There's a KT at their Norwich store which they could get shipped across, but want me to pay a 10% deposit before they get it in![/quote]

I was going to suggest PMT, but that's just ridiculous. I think the KT is pretty rare as a stock model though, so you might struggle to find anywhere else with one in stock.