Why become a member? ×

Hartke strings

Jase

These were brought to our attention on this forum a few months ago (in the eBay section I think)and a few of us bought them. They are absolutely fine and comparable with anything in the £10-£15 (per set) bracket. If you are into changing your strings regularly then they are an absolute no-brainer! Of course they aren't going to convert anyone using DR's or any of the high end strings but I've only stopped using them because I'm trying some of the Thomastik's. I'm sure people may well sneer at the thought of a £5 sets of strings but you need to try them, if you don't get caught up in the snobbery thing they may well be just for you.

[quote name='kingforaday' post='150948' date='Mar 4 2008, 11:06 AM']yep bought a pack of 3 a month or two ago... they're ok sounding but they're way rougher on the fingers than any other nickel set i've tried, feel more like steel ones, so its back to elites for me![/quote]

Ahhh, that's what I wanted to hear, I've moved from Rotos to D'Addario to these. I was hoping they would have the steel feel. Roto's were my string for years but I started to notice that the life span got less and less. I don't expect they'll be better than Pro Steels but it's an option when you're skint :)

Have to say....there not bad, a little soft for me and maybe lacking in a quick tight response but still what more do you want for a fiver :huh: Like I said not bad if you're skint. So when I do get some cash after these few gigs I have it's back to the Pro Steels for me....Rotosound in second place and that's only because they die really quick and a respectable third, for a fiver...Hartke :)

[quote name='Jase' post='150343' date='Mar 3 2008, 02:17 PM']Just ordered a 3 pack of these HSB 445 3P, just wondering if anyone has tried them. £14.90 for 3 packs not bad at all :)[/quote]
I've seen them on the 'bay before, but not as cheap as that. Where did you buy them from?

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='150909' date='Mar 4 2008, 10:26 AM']I'm sure people may well sneer at the thought of a £5 sets of strings but you need to try them, if you don't get caught up in the snobbery thing they may well be just for you.[/quote]
+1 to that.
I did an A/B test with the nickel hartkes against some d'addario EXL165; the EXL were a little fuller and smoother sounding, but not by a country mile.
As stated earlier they did feel quite rough on the fingers (as kingforaday mentioned), but I welcome that on a sweaty gig!

[quote name='Hit&Run' post='156315' date='Mar 12 2008, 08:25 PM']I've seen them on the 'bay before, but not as cheap as that. Where did you buy them from?

+1 to that.
I did an A/B test with the nickel hartkes against some d'addario EXL165; the EXL were a little fuller and smoother sounding, but not by a country mile.
As stated earlier they did feel quite rough on the fingers (as kingforaday mentioned), but I welcome that on a sweaty gig![/quote]

From here H&R:

[url="http://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/shop/view_product.php?product=harlightgauge4string3pack&searchlink=yes&search=HARTKE%20BASS%20STRINGS&page=1"]http://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/shop/view_p...INGS&page=1[/url]

Edited by Jase