Why become a member? ×

now then...

mewsie

hello!

well. the time came a few months ago, to dig out the bass i played for a few years when i was looking for something to do other than attend school.
made a few changes in my life recently, and getting back into music was one of them.

i'm at that point where i'm ready to get myself a really decent bass and take my playing to a new level, and i am sure i will learn masses from you guys.

so, about me, i'm 28, i would say 'a girl' but at 28 i suppose i'm a woman or something.
i live in leeds, which i am still learning my way around even though ive lived here 3 years, and i work wherever and whenever i please. which is pretty nice, i think.

i like tea. and cake. sometimes both at the same time. i love my car, my mac(s), and fentimans ginger beer.
i don't watch television. i probably talk too much, especially when i'm tired. and judging by the clock, i suspect i should stop typing now.

i'd ask you to be gentle, but hey, where's the fun in that?

x

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='150950' date='Mar 4 2008, 11:13 AM']~ but never really managed to get into cakes.[/quote]

stepping deftly away from the bottom-feeder of a joke opportunity for a moment...

biscuits can be a good substitute for cake?
however, just tea is good too. in fact, i might partake right now.

thanks for the welcome!

x

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='150964' date='Mar 4 2008, 11:31 AM']~Or maybe its just to many bad experiences losing games of "soggy biscuit" as an adolescent.[/quote]

believe me, that game is a whole lot messier with cake.

x

Do you know the legal difference between cake and buscuits?

Cakes go hard when they are stale whilst buscuits go soft.

See McVities Jaffa Cakes vs HM Custom and Excise (you don't pay VAT on cakes apparently so Jaffa Cakes are exempt)

Or is this an urban myth? :)

PS nice to see you back BBC. You into jazz yet?

[quote name='OldGit' post='151583' date='Mar 5 2008, 10:46 AM']I think it went like this

"Yes the VAT man wanted it to be a biscuit. That way it would fall by virtue of its chocolate coat into a category of products liable to VAT at the standard rate, i.e. luxury biscuits."[/quote]

grrrr... darn that sneaky VAT man and his war against snacks.

[quote name='"john_the_bass"']tea, cakes, macs, cars - very good, carry on - leave your ginger beer behind though.[/quote]

maaaan... what a picnic that would be.

[quote name='"shifrin"']Hi there, I spent three years in Leeds (at uni) and loved it there...[/quote]

leeds is awesome. whereabouts did you live? headingley? (as good a guess as any)

x

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='151922' date='Mar 5 2008, 06:28 PM']you can't take a mac on a picnic - that would require a generator or some sort of power to facilitate the use of the mac and it would probably more like trouble than fun.[/quote]

well i suppose i could leave the mini at home (the mac, not the car - i'll need the car to carry the sandwiches. but not too many, the boot is quite small) and bring the MBP. the battery will give us a few hours at least as long as we don't do anything too wild with it.

[quote]all you need is cakes, a flask of tea and perhaps some sandwiches[/quote]

and a blanket.

x

[quote name='OldGit' post='152073' date='Mar 5 2008, 10:12 PM']or a Mac - lay out on grass, sit on mac.[/quote]

one day i will be so rich i shall throw lots of money in the air like in the movies... light candles with £50 notes, and have a table surrounded by 6-8 mac pros with cushions on instead of regular chairs like the poor folk.

x

[quote name='mewsie' post='151916' date='Mar 5 2008, 06:18 PM']leeds is awesome. whereabouts did you live? headingley? (as good a guess as any)[/quote]

I lived in Devon Road, which is very close to the university - about five minutes walk from the Parkinson steps... I miss it from time to time, such a great place :)

Simon.