Why become a member? ×

Building a pedal board

chrisdaman

ok guys, i'm sold on buying a bass big muff at the end of the the month, and it's spurred me on to wanting to build my own pedal board.

a brief pedal choice:

Bass Big Muff Pi
??compression pedal??
tuner
??overdrive pedal??

the reason i put ?? there is i dont know which are "good" versions of those pedals, ideally £60-£80 a pedal for each of those, but only up to £20-£30 on the tuner, in-line please

so suggestions for board material and techniques for building etc would be helpful :)

grip tape on the bottom of the board, carpet over the top, and velcro on the bottom of the pedals? or fix the pedals to the board etc?

any sites that would be helpful for this? buying a power splitter etc

i might add the band i'm in play heavy rock music

Cheers
Chris

Edited by chrisdaman

[url="http://www.johnnyshredfreak.com/"]http://www.johnnyshredfreak.com/[/url] for loads of parts for pedal boards, fixing, patch cables, power supplies.
Velcro on the underside of some pedals will not stick well if its a boss or digitech due to the plasticiser in the rubber base - its oily and even the best heavy duty adhesive does not last long. JSF sells these little chain links that can attach via screws to fix the pedals down but you can't juggle them round so easily.
ANy decent piece of wood or mdf sprayed black with carpet or velcro lining will do as a pedal board. Raise it off the ground with some rubber feet and u can cut slots to stuff all the messy cabling underneath.

I got my board from the Flightcase Warehouse. It's basically a decent flightcase with the shallow side to the bottom & a piece of ply painted black & some velcro supplied with it.

I got some heavy duty velcro from hobbycraft, popped a couple of smallish feet on the top edge of the "board" so it leans & I can hide wires under it, then I got a couple of wooden kitchen door handles & put one either side of the board (they match the moog ends).

As for pedals, do you know what fx do what? That's not meant to be a cheeky Q, just that if you don't then I would suggest getting a multi FX to play about with & see what fx you like, then you can decide if two distortions are needed & if you're gonna use a compressor.
If you do know what fx do what, then the Ashdown Hyperdrive & the MXR Blowtorch are both worth a look as far as O\Ds go.
Compressors, I used an EHX White Finger for a couple of tracks in the studio & thought it sounded decent enough but not something I would use live.
Couldn't advise on a tuner, I use PolyTune on the iphone before a gig & any tune ups are done by ear.

Well, I spotted a nice bargain in ikea. A black gloss kitchen door in the clearance section for a £1! As I only had 4 pedals it was perfect. Cut 1 1/"2 one side and stuck it to one end so it raised the board at an angle with "no more nails". It's compact and looks great in my opinion! For the power supply I use a spot on power adaptor, which has been brilliant. Drilled one hole for each pedal so daisy chain could be fed through from underneath. Regards to tuners the korg pitch black is solid with a nice display but would cost nearer to £45

Edited by tonyclaret

well first thing on any board should be a tuner really, ive got a boss tu-3 really good tuner, can power pedals from it all in all very good tuner. you can probs grab the earlier tu-2 on here or flea bay for around 35-40 quid, its not much different can just supply a single pedal.

i love my swollen pickle for fuzz, i use it with a ehx metal muff sounds awesome! the metal muff is a bit more hardcore than the bbm also you can get the nano or one which has a small eq and separate top boost.

if you havent already try out the boss odb-3 has a clean blend built in and can get some nice sounds if you have patience with it. alot of people are put of by the reviews.

i dnt use compression live, just use it in the studio on recorded tracks.

as another suggestion if you find a overdive you like but it cuts the bottom end out you could get a boss ls-2 it works really well as a blender, and they norm go for about 45 quid?

andy

I used [url="http://www.tdpri.com/forum/stomp-box/153763-my-do-yourself-ikea-pedalboard-build-thread.html"]this[/url] as my inspiration, i didnt bother with cutting out little holes for the cables or raising it up higher i just cut the shelf down to size so that it will fit into a large messenger bag and drilled in some rubber feet in the corners to stop it from moving. I got a can of spray paint from wilkos to make it look pretty and some velcro from a local craft shop which is doing a great job. i got some pictures on [url="http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150432933015136.629123.780375135"]here[/url] of it if any one wants to have a gander.