Why become a member? ×

Reading Music at a Gig

waynepunkdude

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1305553' date='Jul 16 2011, 10:33 AM']I've just had a thought, I have a soft copy, is there an auto-scroll program that I can set to the BPM?[/quote]

Very Dangerous.
If you lose your place, you will not have a clue where you are. Its all just passing you by.
The charts would needed to be written through, no signs/DS's/Coda's etc.
Unless you are using programmes like Finale & Sibelius.

Sure people do it, having the midi file playing along in your DAW that has a notation page/Window [Cubase/Sonar/Logic/Digital Performer etc]
A Sibelius or Finale programme will scroll, b[b]ut its really hard to follow in real time in the heat of Battle.[/b]
If the MD needs to jump a few bars because of a fcuk up on the boards, or there is a round & round till cue section - where does that leave you?
Plus you will have to stop and start the scrolling between numbers unless its Synced up to an external sequencer or click track.

Still the best and safest way in live/gig/show situations at the moment is the Analogue way - Music stand extension and page turning.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1304025' date='Jul 14 2011, 09:39 PM']Going to be doing a reading gig next week and I can only fit 2 pages on my music stand, how do you guys go about changing page?[/quote]
I couldnt do a gig the other week for a mate so he got somebody else.
He text me the next day to say "fuucking cheers for last night got a guy who plays in an orchestra pit , we knew we were in trouble when he pulled out sheet music to "sweet home alabama" :)

If you're using poly pockets for copies, buy decent ones from WH Smiths. The cheapo jobs have an alarming habit of breaking around the ring binder holes and going flying, normally on that really tricky turn that you also have to repeat in 16 bars time...

I normally just pencil in the upcoming chord as well on the bottom right hand corner of the right hand page as well just to free up a bit of brain space so I don't have to concentrate on fretting, turning and remembering all at once. Finally, sit near your keyboard player if they're reading as well, it's a good safety net if it all goes belly up!

[quote name='blamelouis' post='1306181' date='Jul 16 2011, 09:00 PM']I couldnt do a gig the other week for a mate so he got somebody else.
He text me the next day to say "fuucking cheers for last night got a guy who plays in an orchestra pit , we knew we were in trouble when he pulled out sheet music to "sweet home alabama" :)[/quote]

If he booked the guy - why was he moaning at you? :)

Garry

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='1304167' date='Jul 14 2011, 11:17 PM']How many sheets is it? Can you photocopy and sticky tape to achieve a "wide" version of the music? Failing that can you partially do that so that you can turn the page when you are not playing?

Failing that, get someone to turn the page for you.[/quote]

This is what I do - I have music up to four sheets long and I tape the sheets together in a ring-binder so that they fold out.

EDIT: a tip if you're going to go down this route. Split your sets into separate folders. For my first few gigs I had all the music in one - because it fitted - but at the start and towards the end, my stand had a tendancy to fall over because all the weight was over on one side! lol Took me a few disasters to work out why it was happening.

Edited by lanark

Just photocopy the pages and tape them together.

Both my stands have bits that extend outwards, they're very cheap to buy.

If you can't do that just practice playing while turning the pages. Fold the top corner of the 2nd page inwards to make page turning easy.
Read through the pages beforehand, there may be a section towards the end where it's easier to turn that actually waiting to come to the end. Mark that section (in pencil) 'turn page'.

If you're reading hired parts, then there will probably be hand written notes giving tips.