Why become a member? ×

I can't seem to learn to read music......Help!!

Jazzneck

[quote name='lanark' post='1306670' date='Jul 17 2011, 02:02 PM']There's a huge amount of satisfaction in being able to pick up a sheet of music - for a piece you've never even heard - and being able to play it.[/quote]

As a reading novice this is so true, I have a little chuckle to myself everytime I finish learning a progression, What was a few blobs in a book becomes a tune and one you can steal for future basslines. Great :)

Reading music seems to be a mental hurdle for many people but it gets much easier if you just view it as a graph.

Lots of notes close together left to right, play fast.

Lots of dots far apart, up and down, play big intervals. Likewise, lots of dots close together, up and down, don't move much.

Apply this knowledge in any combination and you won't be far off.

Scalpy. BMus (Hons) P.G.C.E

A quick twopenneth: look carefully at what music you're learning to read. There's a good reason most music tutor books start with simple well known tunes like nursery rhymes. If you can already play you won't have a problem almost playing without really 'reading' but your brain will start linking finger positions to the visual cues. Practice them enough that you are not having to 'think' too much, then move onto a new tune. I would advise against learning transcribed bass parts to stuff you like as learning melodies is much more powerful for learning to read. If you can't find a decent bass tutor book then try a trombone one (like Tune a Day) as they are pretty much in the same range.
When you've got your confidence up a really good way to progress is with pit bands for amateur dramatic musicals as you get loads of practice, it's fun and most parts tend to be pretty easy.
A.

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1303933' date='Jul 14 2011, 08:15 PM']I have started learning the dots too.

(I'm 45)

I find it easier to go over small passages at a time.

I bought a few musical scores and just read them quietly to myself.

Take it slowly and it will come :)[/quote]

+1 to this. I've been teaching myself to read for the last year or so (I'm 47). Still not where I would like be with it, but I can do it slowly (& I'm better at it now than I've ever been).

Just my 2p's worth, but it's worth working at for about 30-40 mins a day. One of the books I've been using is long out of print (The Complete Electric Bass Player), but another one I use is "Music Reading for Bass: The Complete Guide" by Wendi Hreovshick (Musicians Institute Press). Good thing about these books is no tab - just get your head down & do it...

I'm sure Bilbo will be along shortly to pass on some nuggets of wisdom also (take heed young Jedi).

Cheers,
louisthebass

Learned to read letters? - if so, then you'll learn to read music, if you'll want, of course.

All you need to do for starting out is this exercise:

[url="http://www.joehubbardbass.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/The-Random-Note-Finder-Exercise.pdf"]http://www.joehubbardbass.com/wp-content/u...er-Exercise.pdf[/url]

Do it exactly the way it is told there.
And, before you ask, YES, this exercise has A LOT to do with reading music and electric bass guitar.

Edited by Faithless

What a great set of ideas and suggestions - Thanks to all of you, particularly the YTS site!!!!!!

I've been off line for the last 5 days due to BT "upgrading" our broadband so I've had some time to sit in the pouring rain analysing my problem.

FWIW, my first conclusion - I can understand the notes on the stave, but I think it's them quavers and breve jobbies that define time that is causing the hassle.

So...................... I will now sit and work these out, nice and slowly, and let you know of progress next week after I've celebrated my 62nd birthday(same day as my eldest Grandsons).

M.