Why become a member? ×

ESP/LTD

rohan

I liked the look of the Tom Barney signature J-1005 bass but they were a little expensive and I couldn't find much about them anywhere. They dont seem to be on the ESP site now. I ended up getting a Jazz 5 from someone else but I am tempted by some of the ESP Japan custom shop offerings. Not a fan of the 'metal' basses they seem to do mostly in Europe, but they have some really good quality Jazz style basses and custom jobs in Japan.

only if the come with proper EMG pick ups!!

I have 2 ESP/LTD basses one is the Les Paul (EC 304) bass with EMG HZ pick ups. i got it just before they put proper EMG's in this model, and i think they sound toss compared to my other bass, which is the B 500 and that has proper EMG's and that bass sounds awesome... one of the best basses i have owned and is up there with good Fender's etc.... I keep meaning to put the same pick ups in the EC304, then that will sound awesome too!!!

To some up then....depends which pick ups are in it!!

I owned a F205 with EMG HZ pickups.

My problem with the LTD series instruments is that they have sod all character to the sound (IMHO)

Most of the players I see using the F or be series basses have horribly scooped sounds - too much bass and hissy top end that gets lost amongst guitars and cymbals which totally screw a band's onstage mix.

[quote name='bassbloke' post='15793' date='Jun 11 2007, 06:33 PM']I owned a F205 with EMG HZ pickups.

My problem with the LTD series instruments is that they have sod all character to the sound (IMHO)

Most of the players I see using the F or be series basses have horribly scooped sounds - too much bass and hissy top end that gets lost amongst guitars and cymbals which totally screw a band's onstage mix.[/quote]

Thats because of the HZ pickups, belive me proper EMG's make a HUGE differance! The HZ do sound all muddy and lifeless, but my ESP with the EMG 35's in has a real nice punchy sound that cuts through everything, i do use a Ampeg SVT classic tho so that might have something to do with it!

[quote name='presoulnation' post='17728' date='Jun 14 2007, 05:27 PM']I love the geetars. I'm big into the Steph Carpenter models and they play really really nice. Not so keen on the basses though.[/quote]

Ah man I've always wanted to play one of those! What they like?

[quote name='ashevans09' post='18280' date='Jun 15 2007, 02:06 PM']Ah man I've always wanted to play one of those! What they like?[/quote]

I used to have one, it was okay, but to tell the truth kind of a dissappointment, I could just never get it to play like I wanted, however I had an ESP Viper Standard Camo too, and that was amazing! Almost played itself.

[quote name='bassbloke' post='15793' date='Jun 11 2007, 06:33 PM']I owned a F205 with EMG HZ pickups.

Most of the players I see using the F or be series basses have horribly scooped sounds - too much bass and hissy top end that gets lost amongst guitars and cymbals which totally screw a band's onstage mix.[/quote]

of course that could be just because it's a crap series. What u want is at least the 400 seiries.

I use ESP/LTD basses as my main basses.
I still like Fenders, but i just feel the ESP/LTD lines suit my needs.

I currently play the LTD TA-500 (Discontinued Tom Araya sig) and its fantastic when you get active pickups on it.
And i got the 405FM on the way too, should be here next month :)

But i think they arre great basses