Why become a member? ×

**SOLD** MM Stingray Fretless (Status Graphite Neck) FS (or trade for a Precision)

tonyf

Hi bassist bros!

For sale is my Musicman Stingray Fretless. When I say for sale, I'm actually looking to get myself a Precision so maybe it could be for trade on a P-bass or Lakland Bob Glaub!

Only had the bass a couple of months, traded with P-T-P because I wanted to pursue the fretless thing but have decided it's really not for me and it's never gonna get a look in with the covers band I'm playing with. A real pity because it really is an absolute stunner.

The Stingray's has been tastefully modified. Originally it was a 3-band EQ model and along with the unbelievably great Status neck it also features a Seymour Duncan Basslines pick-up and SD 3 band EQ. The controls are therefore push-pull volume (coil tap), mid cut/boost and then stacked bass/treble cut/boost. The jack input is now on the control plate however the original side-mounted jack socket/plate is still on the bass so you could easily switch back to standard MMan set-up if you'd prefer.

The finish is, as you can see, just beautiful, though there are a few dings here and there. The neck is perfect, I can't begin to say how good it is... low action, solid as a rock, great feel in your hands etc. and the whole package sings like a bird at the dusty end and snarls like a beast at the bottom end. It's currently sporting a set of Thomastik flatwounds and had a set-up done shortly before I collected it from P-T-P so it's an absolutely flawless player.

Ideally looking for £600.

Cheers
Tony

[attachment=6107:ray_in_full_1.JPG] [attachment=6108:ray_in_full_2.JPG] [attachment=6109:ray_neck_joint.JPG] [attachment=6110:ray_pickup_bridge.JPG] [attachment=6103:ray_body.JPG] [attachment=6104:ray_controls.JPG] [attachment=6105:ray_fingerboard.JPG] [attachment=6106:ray_headstock.JPG]

Edited by tonyf

Jan 2000 from the serial number... mmm !

I've played this bass at Tony's and I didn't want to put it down. Amazing action, the best setup fretless i've ever played. Good price too considering the mods.

[i][size=1](End of shameless promotion)[/size][/i]

[quote name='Machines' post='149704' date='Mar 2 2008, 08:14 AM']....the best setup fretless i've ever played....[/quote]

Hmmm, maybe I should go into business! What does a "pro" set-up cost these days?

[quote name='martthebass' post='149817' date='Mar 2 2008, 01:35 PM']....daren't let my Precision go tho (however the GAS is killing me...[/quote]

Need a Precision as well?! Greedy! I would thought that the wonderful DJ5 could cover all the Fender'esque malarkey you'd ever wanna get up to. Perhaps getting shot of it to a good home (!!) would leave space for a MM fretless which would beautifully complete your sonic requirements?! :)

Lol

T

Really nice bass.

Do you have any sound clips? I'll admit now I'll not be buying it as I can't play fretless (so would have no chance with an unlined neck!) but I would love to hear what that bass sounds like; I bet it sounds incredible!

Edited by Frusty