Why become a member? ×

OnSTAGE EFFECTS LEVEL

LeftyBiskit

Afternoon all,
After last nights gig I was somewhat puzzled as to how my individual stompbox effects differ from "bedroom" to Onstage levels,
I have the levels to various effects nailed in the bedroom enviroment ie fuzz,octave,envelope and OD.
But onstage with the current settings the effect either disappears or goes completely over the top.

Any thoughts/advice welcome.
Trev.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1299080' date='Jul 10 2011, 04:34 PM']Rehearsal room for the band is the best place to get everything set up for gigs.[/quote]

On that I would agree,
But last nights gig was different from our std pub gig scenario.
Bigger room,small elevated stage,more people=more volume-
as each venues acoustics differ from each other how would you be able to compensate the changes in volume requirements to each pedal to a satisfactory outcome.
next gig will probably a totally different scenario.

I have a blended BBM which i tend to use as my master-if that sounds right the rest generally fall into line,
But if i add the Micro Qtron into the mix it all goes out the window.tbh I'm seriously considering moving it off my board as part of a major pedal cull-its only on there for a bit of fun.-I've realised that all the ehx pedals that i have introduce massive amounts of gain the instant you turn 'em on.

[quote name='Monckyman' post='1299141' date='Jul 10 2011, 05:48 PM']Well, once you have nailed them all relative to each other then it`s just a matter of overall volume surely?
Do you use any particular sound as your "master" patch or effect, by which you judge the volume of the others?[/quote]

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1299080' date='Jul 10 2011, 04:34 PM']Rehearsal room for the band is the best place to get everything set up for gigs.[/quote]

Yes, and even then you will probably need to tweak things a bit, especially if you don't always use your own amp (I sometimes use whatever the venue provides... if it saves me carrying stuff, I'm not too picky).

[quote name='LeftyBiskit' post='1299285' date='Jul 10 2011, 09:21 PM']I have a blended BBM which i tend to use as my master-if that sounds right the rest generally fall into line,
But if i add the Micro Qtron into the mix it all goes out the window.tbh I'm seriously considering moving it off my board as part of a major pedal cull-its only on there for a bit of fun.-I've realised that all the ehx pedals that i have introduce massive amounts of gain the instant you turn 'em on.[/quote]

Ah! The microQTron! :)

I use one, together with a Bassballs. Sometimes together, sometimes just one of them. I have both in a separate loop controlled by a Boss LS2. This allows me to select the level of the effects (as you've noticed, the microQTron boosts the signal noticeably, I hated that) and it also allows you to blend it with your dry bass sound. The micro QTron then can be tamed, and it actually sounds much better (in my opinion) when mixed with a bit of dry bass. Yes, it means adding an extra pedal and cables, but it's well worth it, for me. The LS-2 is a nice bag of tricks to have, it does many things.

Are you relying heavily on your effects for your basic tone? This may be the issue, although we all suffer from this set up problem. There are similar comments in a multi effects unit v individual pedal thread.

Get your tone nailed from your hands to Bass and amp; use the effects as the icing on cake if possible. Keeping the dry signal high. Make sure you get some sound check time.

Q. Is this problem via a multi effects unit? If so try not programming loads of different effects to make up each sound, may be a return to the default settings and try that and tweak a little at a time. Take your rig down to your village hall and try things alone. :)

[quote name='deepbass5' post='1299307' date='Jul 10 2011, 09:40 PM']Are you relying heavily on your effects for your basic tone? This may be the issue, although we all suffer from this set up problem. There are similar comments in a multi effects unit v individual pedal thread.

Get your tone nailed from your hands to Bass and amp; use the effects as the icing on cake if possible. Keeping the dry signal high. Make sure you get some sound check time.

Q. Is this problem via a multi effects unit? If so try not programming loads of different effects to make up each sound, may be a return to the default settings and try that and tweak a little at a time. Take your rig down to your village hall and try things alone. :)[/quote]
I'm not overly dependent on fx on the majority of the songs we play i just have my pure bass tone with a small amount of chorus,
It's just a handful that need the fuzz and octave.
I'll have another go tomorrow when i get home from work-
thank's for your help.
T

I don't use Fuzz so can help there but would suggest keep the dry signal high, if it is a boss Octave, try the dry signal 75% (3 o’clock) and the oct 1 at between 12 and 1 o'clock with the second lower octave off. Most of my pedals are sorted but I still occasionally get my Dynamic Wah out of sync with the room.

Good luck

I have this problem, but over the course of a few practices I can nail down the levels pretty well, regardless of how much louder/quieter they are than each other, and then I leave it up to the sound man to handle everything. I am extremely dependent on effects, there isn't a single song in my bands set that doesn't involve distortion of some kind, whether it be an overdrive, mild distortion or massive fuzz.