Why become a member? ×

Byrds on BBC 4 Last Night

Mykesbass

Will try and find a better clip, meanwhile did anyone see the Byrds on the BBC 4 Documentary last night - a different clip here clearly showing Chris Hillman the same bass - Fender body with 2 a side headstock. Very odd!

There was a thread about this at the Last Bass Outpost: [url="http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=4632.0"]http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=4632.0[/url]

Apparently, when asked, Hillman said that it was a bass that was loaned to him for the filming, and he never did know what it was. He assumed it was a Fender body with a custom or home made neck. He never used it again.

Going slightly off topic, I watched about 20/30 mins of the programme last night. Really enjoyed it & it took me back about 40 odd years as I remember one of my older brothers being into Joni Mitchell & CSNY & hearing these songs coming from his bedroom from his stereo.

Great songs from a bunch of really talented people.

Cheers,
louisthebass

[quote name='louisthebass' post='1298580' date='Jul 9 2011, 09:36 PM']Going slightly off topic, I watched about 20/30 mins of the programme last night. Really enjoyed it & it took me back about 40 odd years as I remember one of my older brothers being into Joni Mitchell & CSNY & hearing these songs coming from his bedroom from his stereo.

Great songs from a bunch of really talented people.

Cheers,
louisthebass[/quote]

Likewise, really enjoyed the programme - getting much more into this more mellow stuff (I guess it is a sign of ageing) :)

Thanks for the link Dave, although I'm not sure that entirely makes sense as it seems that there are clips from him from different shows (BBC and Sweden) using it - will have another trawl to confirm this.

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='1298847' date='Jul 10 2011, 11:17 AM']Likewise, really enjoyed the programme - getting much more into this more mellow stuff (I guess it is a sign of ageing) :)

Thanks for the link Dave, although I'm not sure that entirely makes sense as it seems that there are clips from him from different shows (BBC and Sweden) using it - will have another trawl to confirm this.[/quote]

No, my memory failing (back to that age thing) was the same Swedish clip used on the BBC show.