Why become a member? ×

Tuning / Detuning - confusing the **** out of me

Just to clarify, no one is suggesting that you should copy every bassline exactly note for note and you certainly don't need to use the identical amp settings, use the same bass or wear a similar hat to the original bass player!

I have two general rules of thumb: ‘good enough’ usually is not; and the difference between okay and great is largely down to nuance (but not as much as ability)……..

To to get back to the OP's point I think someone hit the nail on the head early in the thread with 2 basses. One tuned to Eb tuning and the other in standard tuning for those songs where the guitarist has shifted back up a fret on a detuned guitar to effectively get back to standard tuning. As it was a tune specifically mentuioned, when I have to play SCOM at jam sessions it is always in C, that took a bit of getting used to!

Edited by KevB

[quote name='bode' post='1297882' date='Jul 9 2011, 12:49 AM']without the embarrassment of a capo.[/quote]

Utter tosh, the only guitar players I know who think like this are sh1t guitar players.
Most realise that if you have 2 guitars in your band, they're going to need to play different shapes in different places to avoid stepping all over each other. Feel free to piss about trying to play D and G shapes up on the 6th fret all you like, I'm going to stay with the guys who can play and slap on my capo.

[quote name='KevB' post='1299932' date='Jul 11 2011, 02:33 PM']To to get back to the OP's point I think someone hit the nail on the head early in the thread with 2 basses. One tuned to Eb tuning and the other in standard tuning for those songs where the guitarist has shifted back up a fret on a detuned guitar to effectively get back to standard tuning. As it was a tune specifically mentuioned, when I have to play SCOM at jam sessions it is always in C, that took a bit of getting used to![/quote]

I've always had to play it in 'D' position, but with the bass tuned down a semi-tone. Had to learn it in 'C' for a gig the other week (bass still downtuned), it went perfect. Fast forward a couple of weeks, have to play it in 'D' again, and I can hardly remember it! That one took some quick thinking! :)