Why become a member? ×

dull sounding ashdwon mag rig,help much apreciated

so...just got myself an ashdown mag 250 head with a mag 410t deep cab and 115t deep cab,both with the apparently excellent blue speakers in them.
the low end is bone crushing and full,but its very dull sounding and i suspect the tweeter is not working so i have removed the grill and put my lughole right next to every speaker and the tweeter seems to be the only one i cant hear anything from,even when i play slap.

now then, how do i know if this is a head problem or a cab problem? ive been told to get the tweeter replaced but id like to know if its actually that, that is the problem and not the head.

any advice you could offer would be much appreciated.thanks for reading.

The speakers should be full range in those - i may be wrong, the tweeter just deals with the realy high frequencies.
This might be an amp issue. Try running an mp3 or something (full range) through the amp and play with the tone controls - see if the top end has gone from the amp. IF theres a headphone socket in the amp even better, check the signal from the mp3 is OK - can you hear the hi-hats?
If you have the treble in the phones but not through the speaker, the problem may still be in the amp though.

If the amp is fine, check the fuse on the crossover (usually these are glass slow blow type) inside the speaker with the tweeter.

The tweeter went in the MAG 210 deep cab I used to have* Suddenly I smelt something burning and a lot of the treble dropped off - Ashdown sent me a replacement for £18 delivered which was simple to fit (I think it may have required a bit of soldering rather than being a quick screwdriver job). I noticed the new one had a big resister already soldered in parallel which the old one didn't have.

[size=1]*it was my own fault - I was channeling John Enwhistle rehearsing our cover of substitute and went a bit mad with the volume, distortion & treble.[/size]

the easiest way to test your tweeter/horn is to put some recorded music through it. You should be able to rig up a lead to feed your iPod into it or even connect it to your hi-fi in place of one of the speakers. Cymbals have a lot of high frequencies so if you can't hear them then you know they aren't working.

Check fuses and trace the leads back to the socket via the crossover to check there are no broken connections, then get on to Ashdown who are very helpful.

Good luck