Why become a member? ×

Band Issues

Just got back from a weekend away to receive an unexpected email from the guitarist saying he wants to quit. This is 6 months after we have taken him on and a week after we jointly auditioned new singers after the last one gave notice she wanted to leave and ultimately left.

Guitarist says he will honour exisiting gigs but it's a bit more complicated than that...

We have around 8 pub gigs booked until November and the idea was we rehearse up the new singer and then move back into doing Weddings and Corporate gigs, an area we neglected when the last singer gave notice and I did not want to commit us to gigs we could not fulfil.

So the Guitarist says he will honour existing gigs but we need to learn at least half a new repetoire with the new singer. Additionally my house is up for sale and I am moving away from the area at the latest by November this year.

New Singer is really good and my idea was we rehearsed her and she, the guitarist and drummer ( we still need to get) could bring in a new Bass player when I left.

Having organised all the auditions ( and previously all the gigs etc etc) on the one hand I feel I should not waste this effort and keep the band going until I leave, on the other hand I feel quite pissed off that the guitarist has decided now to walk away and equally the Singer may decide it's not worth the effort to bother to learn the new material ( which incidentally is of her musical choice).

So do I say f*ck it, fold the band now and cancel the remaining gigs, and feel miserable on the nights when I should have been out gigging or am I just clutching at straws by trying to keep things going, given I'm moving on later this year anyway?

Difficult one.

Rather than do all the gigs, could you possibly do one big one and advertise / sell it as such? Go out on a high for everyone? Then the decision can be theirs if they wanna get a new geetar man, and another bassist when you leave. If you are leaving anyway they may see this as an opportunity to fold... which would make the "one more gig" situation one that hopefully all parties can enjoy.

[i]by the way this is just my reading of the situation... before I get dry-humped by anyone who disagrees :)[/i]

Edited by Stag

[quote name='farmer61' post='1292475' date='Jul 4 2011, 05:35 PM']Just do the gigs you've booked until November, while all of you have time to sort out your next musical moves.

Why worry if it was never going to be your problem post Novemeber?[/quote]

Cos I'm a Bassist and that's what we do....!

Good advice anyway, just need to see if the Singer will invest the time required.....

Unless the songs she wants you to learn are easy for you, I would ask the singer to revisit your existing setlist and ask her if she will just do the gigs with tunes you already know.

If it's only 8 pub gigs you'd only need about 20 tunes.

2 choices. Do what TimR said, or call his bluff and walk away, not your problem come November - 4 months will soon pass & as your getting ready to move anyway, is there any chance you could use the time to find a band where your going ? That way you could hit the ground running.

Can you pass the gigs YOU BOOKED on to another similar local band ? Saves letting anybody down and maintains some of your credibility.

Discuss it with the singer. It sounds like your guitarist has made his mind up. If the singer wants to do it just for the fun and experience, then it sounds like you'd also be up for that. If she's not, then that's your choice made for you.