Why become a member? ×

Squier Precision £80

BottomE

What a surprise. I won a Squier Precision off of Ebay - £80. I bought it really as a project bass to practice setups - soldering and modding. Anyway i plugged this sucker into CUBASE last night and what a surprise. Plays really well - nice action with very little fret buzz. The MIM PuPs that have been installed give a nice thump - not much range in tone but what is there is quite useable. Haven't found any dead spots and the neck is straight and true. The worst bit about it is the body

I want to play it through an amp before deciding what to do and was gonna buy a US neck and PuPs - will they make a big difference given that it is a Squier body or is it a waste of time?

I bought a Squier Affinity P bass from Tom1946 on here for less than you paid. Granted, it is a cheaper model. I plays very nicely indeed! The only bit that really lets it down is the pickup. I've ordered a GFS replacement so it will be interesting to hear how much of a difference it makes.

Having said that, it is certainly "good enough" for most applications that I would put it to!

[quote name='BottomE' post='1292149' date='Jul 4 2011, 01:20 PM']Would you bother changing the neck?[/quote]

On mine, no. The neck is the best bit of it! To be honest, the neck is the crux of any bass. Anything else can be modded/improved/replaced, but if the neck is rubbish bin the bass and get something else IMO.

A few years ago I had one of the Affinity range, and it played fine. Only change the neck if it really needs improvement.

Re the pickups - here is where some improvement could be made. Changing these, and the pots as well - CTS if going for authentic Fender - will make a fair bit of difference. The change in MIM pickups to US - well they are different models, and the output on US is higher, but also to my ears, have a better overall "thump".

Overall though, I though the Squier was a very good bass, and not just for the money.

[quote name='smb' post='1292153' date='Jul 4 2011, 01:22 PM']If the worst thing about it is the body why would you keep it and change the pickups and neck?[/quote]
It's cos i have sourced a nice US neck and PuPs from a pretty newish precision. The PuPs i hoped would give an even better sound and the neck would give me a nicer neck. I already have some people interested in buying the neck and PuPs. I think a nice pickguard would make the body more pleasing to the eye but there is a big chip in the horn that goes to through to the wood. I am debating now if it is worth stripping the paint and doing a custom paint job?

When I bought a squier affinity p bass a few months back, I thought the first job would be to change the neck but I quickly realised there was no need. The neck was good as was the fretwork. I didn't like the diddly little tuners though, so they were changed for proper Fender ones.

The electrics were the weak point and I therefore replaced the lot.

[quote name='gary mac' post='1292195' date='Jul 4 2011, 02:07 PM']When I bought a squier affinity p bass a few months back, I thought the first job would be to change the neck but I quickly realised there was no need. The neck was good as was the fretwork. I didn't like the diddly little tuners though, so they were changed for proper Fender ones.

The electrics were the weak point and I therefore replaced the lot.[/quote]
The chap i got this from said that it had CTS pots and wiring. I tried to hide my ignorance and said "ah excellent" but he may as well have been speaking in Swahili. Is this a good thing?

[quote name='BottomE' post='1292261' date='Jul 4 2011, 03:05 PM']The chap i got this from said that it had CTS pots and wiring. I tried to hide my ignorance and said "ah excellent" but he may as well have been speaking in Swahili. Is this a good thing?[/quote]

:)

Yes it's the kit that a lot of people use for an upgrade.

:)

As you can guess i am a bit of a noob in the bass customisation department

My wife also laughed at the thought of me soldering things :)

Funny thing is i can't even see how to take off the volume and tone knob. The only time i have done this there have been little screws on the side of the knob. There aren't on this and i don't waqnt to pull really hard and then break all the innards.

Confused of Bournemouth

[quote name='BottomE' post='1293337' date='Jul 5 2011, 01:08 PM']Funny thing is i can't even see how to take off the volume and tone knob. The only time i have done this there have been little screws on the side of the knob. There aren't on this and i don't waqnt to pull really hard and then break all the innards.[/quote]

If there are no screws, just pull 'em! Gentle but firm is the way forward...

[quote name='gary mac' post='1293352' date='Jul 5 2011, 01:16 PM']...although some assistance might be needed with a screw driver or blade to lever them up. Obviously use a towel or piece of card or something to protect the paintwork :)[/quote]
Couple of teaspoons works for me. Natural curve to the rounded back, bit of leverage and they're off.

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1293406' date='Jul 5 2011, 01:54 PM']Couple of teaspoons works for me. Natural curve to the rounded back, bit of leverage and they're off.[/quote]
Thanks - i'd also like to thank you for your mostly hilarious and sometimes incisive posts.