Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

An early influence rediscovered

Bilbo

One of my earliest bass influences was Jack Bruce's performances on Cozy Powell's Over The Top LP (yes, it was that long ago). I just looked it up on Spotify. The LP isn't on there but most of the tracks are there. An early transcription was 'Sweet Poison' which I just played for the first time on probably 30 years and I remembered every note! Great sound, great ideas.

The tracks are:

1."Theme One" - 3:36 (George Martin)
2."Killer" - 7:16 (Don Airey/Gary Moore)
3."Heidi Goes to Town" - 2:57 (Cozy Powell/Don Airey) not on Spotify
4."El Sid" - 5:09 (Bernie Marsden) not on Spotify
5."Sweet Poison" - 8:24 (Max Middleton) - a real favourite!!
6."The Loner" - 4:50 (Max Middleton) (Dedicated to Jeff Beck)
7."Over The Top" - 8:39 (Don Airey/Cozy Powell) - Rock largess personified!!

Every one a winner :) (there are some 'odd' moments but I loved it when I was 17 or so). I also heard a live session they did on Radio One which included Bruce's Tickets To Waterfalls which I had a cassette of which is long gone. Shame. It was a great gig.

Cool, I was reading this thinking I have that on vinyl somewhere. I had a quick look and yes, I still have it, just no record player anymore!

I also have Octopus by Cozy Powel with Colin Hodgkinson and Gary Moore. Just wish I could listen to them.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1290945' date='Jul 3 2011, 12:48 PM']One of my earliest bass influences was Jack Bruce's performances on Cozy Powell's Over The Top LP[/quote]
Was that the album with the blue cover with the picture of Cozy jumping over his drum kit on a motorbike?
Haven't heard that for donkeys years.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1290945' date='Jul 3 2011, 12:48 PM']1."Theme One" - 3:36 (George Martin)[/quote]
Is that the same "Theme One" that Van Der Graaf Generator did?

[quote name='RhysP' post='1291211' date='Jul 3 2011, 05:37 PM']Was that the album with the blue cover with the picture of Cozy jumping over his drum kit on a motorbike?
Haven't heard that for donkeys years.

Is that the same "Theme One" that Van Der Graaf Generator did?[/quote]

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Over_The_Top.jpg"]Over the top[/url]

I reckon so!

A great album (I still do have a deck!)

[quote name='RhysP' post='1291211' date='Jul 3 2011, 09:37 AM']Is that the same "Theme One" that Van Der Graaf Generator did?[/quote]
Apparently it's the disco version :) Not quite like on Pawn Hearts.

Wow, there's a George Martin version?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ0UrwusWcM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ0UrwusWcM[/url]

Until today I thought this was just a great VDGG tune.

Edited by Vibrating G String

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1290945' date='Jul 3 2011, 12:48 PM']One of my earliest bass influences was Jack Bruce's performances on Cozy Powell's Over The Top LP (yes, it was that long ago). I just looked it up on Spotify. The LP isn't on there but most of the tracks are there. An early transcription was 'Sweet Poison' which I just played for the first time on probably 30 years and I remembered every note! Great sound, great ideas.

The tracks are:

1."Theme One" - 3:36 (George Martin)
2."Killer" - 7:16 (Don Airey/Gary Moore)
3."Heidi Goes to Town" - 2:57 (Cozy Powell/Don Airey) not on Spotify
4."El Sid" - 5:09 (Bernie Marsden) not on Spotify
5."Sweet Poison" - 8:24 (Max Middleton) - a real favourite!!
6."The Loner" - 4:50 (Max Middleton) (Dedicated to Jeff Beck)
7."Over The Top" - 8:39 (Don Airey/Cozy Powell) - Rock largess personified!!

Every one a winner :) (there are some 'odd' moments but I loved it when I was 17 or so). I also heard a live session they did on Radio One which included Bruce's Tickets To Waterfalls which I had a cassette of which is long gone. Shame. It was a great gig.[/quote]

I had this on LP and his follow up, which I think was called Tilt. Really liked both of them. Sadley no longer have them :)( But thanks for the reminder - happy days!