Why become a member? ×

Upgrading the driver in SVT 2x10 AV

Prime_BASS

Just wanted get some advice from those far more in the know than me.

Just wondering if there would be much increase in overall performance if I was to upgrade the drivers to say the deltalite 2510. At a guess it's the same sort of driver Alex uses in the midget.

I'd also be after increasing the power rating and output with out increasing the cabs overall wieght beyond 15kgs.
Ideally something like 500w at 8ohm?

I'm very dumb on technicalities.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='1286744' date='Jun 29 2011, 05:58 PM']The Ampeg driver has 4.7mm xmax, the 2510 4.2mm. That gives them virtually identical output capability.[/quote]
Definatly food for thought.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1286701' date='Jun 29 2011, 05:26 PM']If I'm picturing the right cab, is it sealed? Means the driver probably isn't suitable. The Midget uses a Kappalite driver.[/quote]
Indeed, however this 10" driver on the eminence site says it should work well with either sealed or vented cabs.

Is this a pointless endeavour?

After doing my best with calculations using some web calculators, it seems the driver will work better with a vented box.

Regarding the RS cabs. I'm looking for a middle ground between what the midget is and what Super12T is. The closest thing I've seen are usually 2x10 boxes, and the only one Ive seen with a decent wieght is the purple-chili cabs. However I emailed them about more detailed specs and no reply.....

I can cope with the super12T fine but I'd like something smaller that doesn't have as much wieght so I can go further distances with it(I have no car)

The midget was amazing to have around very loud and punchy but as the lead guitard upgraded his gear and learned how to make it louder, the midget stopped being an option unless I was using purly as a monitor. Plus out doors gigs with no PA needed something bigger.
I'm only looking for a midget now for recording and acoustic gigs my bandmates want to start doing.

Anyway im slowly getting the picture that a loud 2x10 that's small and light doesn't exist, due to those T/S law things or whatever.

You're making the mistake that of assuming that a 2x10" will be halfway between the Midget and Super Twelve in output. In reality unless you can find some neo 10"s with high Xmax and high sensitivity then the 2x10" is likely to be no louder than the Midget when both are driven to their limits. For instance a Midget will play louder than an RS210, whilst an S12T is lighter than an RS210! You're already on the limits of what current technology allows and if neodymium continues to rise in price then cabs will be going up in weight again as they revert to ferrite magnets...

Pull the guitarist's volume knob off his amp, rotate it 90 degrees clockwise, then push it back on. He will now think he's playing louder than he really is and the volume will go back down! :)

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1287481' date='Jun 30 2011, 11:27 AM']Pull the guitarist's volume knob off his amp, rotate it 90 degrees clockwise, then push it back on. He will now think he's playing louder than he really is and the volume will go back down! :)[/quote]
Now that idea I like and may well try with a certain 6 stringer in my band! :)

Well ideally Id chose the compact again. As wieght and size wise it's a but more manageable on the frequent 40 minute I'm now doing to practices, and if using public transport the size is to over-bearing. While the S12T is massive by any means the size and wieght can be cumbersome when you are carrying a bag for an amp and another for the guitar and what ever other gubbins, which is probably how the feet got ripped off :)

However as you don't install tweeters in the compact the 4khz top end isn't enough and makes a huge difference.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1288405' date='Jun 30 2011, 11:49 PM']Sure there was a tweeter option on the Compact.[/quote]

So did I, I got confused between the compact and the bigone. Unless Alex is hiding something.

Something to do with inconsistent polar response, which I do t get as a lot of this physics stuff is way over my head still.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1288438' date='Jul 1 2011, 12:21 AM']If you are using public transport for practices, just DI when you get there. I'd not ever want to schlep a cab on public transport.[/quote]

Contemplated that but the last time I did this, as the amp I was using was pants, it didn't go down well. Also I'd rather be in control of my whole sound in one unit, something I can't quite let go of.

The midget was a breeze getting on off buses.