Why become a member? ×

Bridge upgrade

chilievans

[quote name='chilievans' post='1286598' date='Jun 29 2011, 04:25 PM']On my shuker I cuttently have a gotoh bridge fitted. I've been concidering buying a badass upgrade. Would it be worth it?[/quote]

I don't really think that it would be that much of an upgrade to be honest, unless you consider having the word BADASS stamped on the bridge an upgrade. The Gotoh (especially the 201) is a perfectly competent bridge of reasonable mass and some protection from lateral saddle movement. What isn't it doing for you?

[quote name='chilievans' post='1286598' date='Jun 29 2011, 04:25 PM']On my shuker I cuttently have a gotoh bridge fitted. I've been concidering buying a badass upgrade. Would it be worth it?[/quote]

Depends what Gotoh bridge you have and what sound you're after.... so the answer is who knows!

If it looks like a standard Fender Bent Bit of Tin bridge then you may get a little more sustain from a Badass and possibly a slightly more modern sound, but I suspect it won't make a huge difference.

If it's a more solid cast Gotoh I'd be surprised if the Badass sounds any different at all.

I tried all sorts of fancy bridges on my Fenders but ended up going back to the primitive Fender stock item as it just sounds more vintage and agricultural like a Fender should :)

I prefer a standard BBOT on a Precision and a high-mass type (such as a Badass) on a jazz.Not 100& certain why, but I'm guessing the sustain is not as good with a BBOT particularly in the lower frequencies, so the attack seems like it has more - er - attack which is what you want from a precision more than a jazz.

...Of course that could be complete cack.

I've swopped a standard Fender bridge for a standard one and frankly it made no difference. I like the vintage fender bridges because the spiral grooves on the saddles mean you can change string spacing very easily (and they're cheap compared to a BadAss).

wouldn't say the badass was worth the extra cash over the gotoh, unless you were thinking of buying mine then ofc it'd be worth every penny ;p

I`ve had Fender BBOT, Gotoh, and Badass on the same bass (MIM Precision). To me, the bass seemed to play/sustain, and sound the same with both the Gotoh and Badass.

The only thing I really noticed between the two was that the Badass seemed to be more adjustable. So if you can`t get good enough action/intonation with the Gotoh, try a Badass, but if you`re ok in this area, I wouldn`t bother.