Why become a member? ×

Eminence Speakers - BP102, B102 or Basslite S2010

Lozz196

I`m thinking of changing the speaker cones in my Eden Nemesis 410, to either Eminence BP102 or B102 cones, to try and get a more Ampeggy sound, figuring that as Ampeg use Eminence speakers, that is logical (if anyone can correct this, all info gratefully received).

From the specs I can see that the BP102s don`t go too high (40hz to 2khz), but my cab has an adjustable tweeter, and my amp has an Ultra-Hi feature, so hopefully this wouldn`t be a problem, especially as I`m very much a "hold the low end" type bassist.

Has anyone either got these in a cab, or, tried them, or got any helpful info?

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1284593' date='Jun 27 2011, 03:44 PM']I`m thinking of changing the speaker cones in my Eden Nemesis 410, to either Eminence BP102 or B102 cones, to try and get a more Ampeggy sound, figuring that as Ampeg use Eminence speakers, that is logical[/quote] The cab and driver must be matched to work well. With older Edens when they made their own drivers you really needed to use Eden replacements. They now use Eminence, so there's probably nothing to be gained by swapping them. As far as what Ampeg uses, they bear no resemblance to either the BP102 or B102. The B810 is a direct replacement, but if you don't have a sealed cab you won't get Ampeg tone. And the cab is only half the equation. It takes an Ampeg head as well.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='1284664' date='Jun 27 2011, 09:38 PM']The cab and driver must be matched to work well. With older Edens when they made their own drivers you really needed to use Eden replacements. They now use Eminence, so there's probably nothing to be gained by swapping them. As far as what Ampeg uses, they bear no resemblance to either the BP102 or B102. The B810 is a direct replacement, but if you don't have a sealed cab you won't get Ampeg tone. And the cab is only half the equation. It takes an Ampeg head as well.[/quote]
Sorry for going OT here but when did Eden stop making their own drivers? Was it around the time of the US Music takover or when David left?

Thanks guys, clears that one up, won`t be able to do it then.

I wanted to try and change my current cab as it`s nice & light, whereas the Ampeg SVT 410 cabs are some 40 lbs heavier than my Nemesis, and due to my back, that kind of weight isn`t do-able.

Looks like an Ampeg Portaflex 115 or 210 may be in order then.

[quote name='Merton' post='1284755' date='Jun 27 2011, 05:49 PM']Sorry for going OT here but when did Eden stop making their own drivers? Was it around the time of the US Music takover or when David left?[/quote]Eden's a bit cryptic, so I can't say for sure if they're still making any ceramic drivers or have gone completely to Eminence, but their staple driver was the 1060, and they now use the 1040 in Nemesis, probably Eminence. Their Neo is Eminence. The Ampeg drivers aren't all that heavy, 6.7 pounds, so four of them are only eight pounds heavier than four neo tens. Any other weight difference would be in the cab.

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice

Yes, just had a look, and mine has the 1060-8 cones - am presuming that means 8ohm cones, as the cab is an 8ohm cab.

So, looks like definately not an option.

Curses, wish they made a 410 in the Portaflex range.

Ok, been doing a bit of reading over on T*lkb*ss, and there seems to be a fair appreciation for Eminence Basslite S2010s.

I`ve also found out from Eden that the speakers in my cab are their Chinese made cones.

So, would the Basslites be an improvement, and offer me a tone nearer to that of an Ampeg than what I have now?

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1285850' date='Jun 28 2011, 05:51 PM']Ok, been doing a bit of reading over on T*lkb*ss, and there seems to be a fair appreciation for Eminence Basslite S2010s.

I`ve also found out from Eden that the speakers in my cab are their Chinese made cones.

So, would the Basslites be an improvement, and offer me a tone nearer to that of an Ampeg than what I have now?[/quote]
Impossible to say without either seeing response charts for both (Eden does not publish any, as it would reveal their SPL claims to be rubbish) or having cabs with both drivers side by side.

Thanks Bill, thought if anyone had knowledge of the Eden cones technical side it would more than likely be you, however as there isn`t any published info re this, whilst chances are that the Basslites would be an improvement, without something to offer actual proof, I won`t take the chance.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, an update to this thread. I decided to bite the bullet, and buy a set of the Eminence S2010 Basslites after all. It was niggling at me, so thought I`d take the chance.

Used the cab with them in last night for the first time, and am very pleased. First off, they aren`t as loud as the Eden speakers, so the volume needs pushing more than before, but the tone - this is what I was after. Much fuller, the bass now has that "rattling your insides" feel to it, that was previously not there, the mids are nicely present, not lacking at all, whilst the highs are still, well highs, but not at all shrill - I can still use the tweeter on full, and the cab is not at all "scratchy". The cab now also seems to respond better to the eq being boosted or cut.

These speakers have essentially done what I was after, they do have a much more "Ampeggy" feel to them, than the previous units. Whilst I know it is not exact, and that in technical terms these cones may not be matched exactly to the cab, my ears like them very much, and I am very pleased with the results.

Good result.... flukey maybe, but if it worked, then that is what matters most.

I would think you could market those Eden chassis' if they don't make or supply them anymore.

Always devilishly hard to get replacement bespoke speakers if the maker is not forthcoming with the specs
which most aren't and that range has been discontinued.

Nice thought, I had considered keeping hold of them, in case of selling the cab, so I could put it back as standard, but in reality, I can`t see me wanting rid of this cab, it really does do all I want now.