Why become a member? ×

Ibanez ATK 400. SOLD!

solo4652

Folks,

I acquired this recently in a part-ex deal. It's a cracking bass, and the only thing I dislike about it is that it's active. I'm happy to keep it and I'm also happy to trade it for a CIJ/MIJ Fender P with 42mm neck, or a similar quality P-necked, passive P-type bass.

Here's what I know about the Ibanez:

Made in Korea, serial number W4134** which dates it to April 2001.

Maple neck and fingerboard, Mahogany body sunburst finish, J/MM configuration pups, through-body or bridge stringing option, 3 band active EQ, five bolt neck joint.

It's in excellent condition. The front is glossy and virtually unmarked. The back too is shiny, with 1 or 2 vey minor dings (which don't penetrate the colour) and a tad of bucklerash. The neck has a few very minor marks on the rear and some discolouration around frets 3 -5, but nothing that can be felt whilst playing.

When I got it, the jack socket was crackly, so I had it replaced with a new one. Nice chunky tone pots with useful centre detents for easy reference. The only thing that's missing is the truss rod cover.

Photos: See: [url="https://picasaweb.google.com/115957742070238396911/ATK400?authkey=Gv1sRgCLDM1MvQgpaU5wE#"]https://picasaweb.google.com/11595774207023...LDM1MvQgpaU5wE#[/url]

Looking to trade it for a MIJ/CIJ Fender P in good nick with 42mm nut, or a similar quality, P-necked, passive P-type bass. I'm fairly flexible about body colour and fingerboard wood, but please no beat-up "projects". PM me with what you have.

Steve

Edited by solo4652

How do you value it? I have a Jap P bass which is mint and has a maple board, 2 tone sunburst 57 reissue with the gold anodised p/guard. The Ibby looks very nice but it doesn't seem to be in the same ballpark price wise.

[quote name='tom1946' post='1281377' date='Jun 24 2011, 07:05 PM']How do you value it? I have a Jap P bass which is mint and has a maple board, 2 tone sunburst 57 reissue with the gold anodised p/guard. The Ibby looks very nice but it doesn't seem to be in the same ballpark price wise.[/quote]

Hi Tom,

Yes, it [i]is[/i] a bit tricky balancing possible values, isn't it. I searched the BC For Sale forum for CIJ/MIJ P's and also ATK 400's. No problem finding out about the P's - plenty of current and past examples at anywhere from £350 to £500. However, an ATK 400 is much more difficult to find. Ebay isn't much use either - I searched "Completed Listings" for an ATK 400 and found nothing. ATK 300's go fo £200+, and an ATK 700 went for £400. Putting the ATK 400 between these puts it around the value of some of the CIJ/MIJ P's, especially when you take into consideration the ATK 400 is now getting pretty hard to find and the one I have is in excellent condition.

Your P sounds interesting. Do you want to swap photos? If you show me yours, I'll show you mine...

Steve

[quote name='solo4652' post='1281550' date='Jun 24 2011, 09:33 PM']Hi Tom,

Yes, it [i]is[/i] a bit tricky balancing possible values, isn't it. I searched the BC For Sale forum for CIJ/MIJ P's and also ATK 400's. No problem finding out about the P's - plenty of current and past examples at anywhere from £350 to £500. However, an ATK 400 is much more difficult to find. Ebay isn't much use either - I searched "Completed Listings" for an ATK 400 and found nothing. ATK 300's go fo £200+, and an ATK 700 went for £400. Putting the ATK 400 between these puts it around the value of some of the CIJ/MIJ P's, especially when you take into consideration the ATK 400 is now getting pretty hard to find and the one I have is in excellent condition.

Your P sounds interesting. Do you want to swap photos? If you show me yours, I'll show you mine...

Steve[/quote]

Amazing instruments and made in Japan as far as I can recall. Bought mine in 2002, exactly same as yours for £400 new. However, back then you could tell these were worth more than the ticket price. £350 aint a terrible amount to ask for. Stunning! I miss mine :)

[quote name='andy67' post='1281625' date='Jun 24 2011, 10:59 PM']Amazing instruments and made in Japan as far as I can recall. Bought mine in 2002, exactly same as yours for £400 new. However, back then you could tell these were worth more than the ticket price. £350 aint a terrible amount to ask for. Stunning! I miss mine :)[/quote]

Thanks for the kind comments. I believe that some were made in Japan and then Korea. With the 5-way pup switch you can go from a close P impression (but with a little more treble) through to a very hi-fi sound that some people have likened to a Stingray. Mine's in excellent condition too with only a few minor marks to the back of the body and some discolouration on the back of the neck. Mahogany body too, with some sort of veneer on the top - beautiful finish. I certainly don't mind keeping it if nothing comes up by way of a trade.

So, anybody want to do swapsies then?

Steve

I got fed up with trying and failing to upload pics via BC. So, see the photos via Picasaweb link (I hope - first time I've tried it). Also, I've widened the trade criteria to include non-fender P's - see original post.

Steve

[quote name='smb' post='1282297' date='Jun 25 2011, 05:42 PM']I had one of these...until it got stolen. Amazing bass.

Wish I could make you an offer on it, anyway have a free bump[/quote]

Much obliged - thank you.

• 1 month later...

It's still here folks.

I'm still looking to trade it for a MIJ/CIJ Fender P. I'd also consider a decent MIM P, Musicman SUB (passive - yes, I know how rare they are) or decent 4-string, passive, P-necked bass with appropriate cash adjustment. I'm valuing the ATK at around £330.

PM me with anything interesting,

Steve

Edited by solo4652

I love these basses... a real bargain!

I've just put a pic in your first post. All you do is right click on the image in Picasa and choose 'copy image location' then on BC hit the insert image tag to the left of the smiley face and paste the link in there.

Cheers
ped

[quote name='ped' post='1336343' date='Aug 11 2011, 12:48 PM']I love these basses... a real bargain!

I've just put a pic in your first post. All you do is right click on the image in Picasa and choose 'copy image location' then on BC hit the insert image tag to the left of the smiley face and paste the link in there.

Cheers
ped[/quote]

Aha! [i]That's[/i] how you do it. Thanks Ped.

[quote name='XB26354' post='1336396' date='Aug 11 2011, 01:35 PM']Having just got the 5-string version on BC I can vouch for just how good these basses sound. Feel and tone is pretty reminiscent of a Stingray 5 HS. They're very solidly made and easy to adjust. Highly recommended![/quote]

Thank you for your comments!

[quote name='solo4652' post='1336453' date='Aug 11 2011, 02:17 PM']Aha! [i]That's[/i] how you do it. Thanks Ped.[/quote]

No probs. Attaching images directly to Basschat is a bit of a nightmare, something we have addressed and simplified in the new software coming soon. Using links to remote images is usually the best way, though.

Cheers
ped

Looks like this is sold and on its way to a new home in France.

Still looking for an vintage MIJ Ibanez Blazer with original tuners, pickup, bridge, knobs. Not too picky about body colour and I don't mind scuffs/mojo/dings to the body (within reason!) but neck needs to be in good condition. No "projects" please! £150 available. PM me if you have anything. I'll post something in the Wanted forum.

Steve