Why become a member? ×

The Dilema

matybigfro

So I've been playing bass properly in bands for 2-3 years now after being a hamfisted guitarist with a spare bass lying around

In the first band I joined playing bass the keyboard player owned a bass amp so i played that for the 2 years I was with the band
it was one of those behrigner ultra bass heads (350 watt I think) and 15" inch cabs
I have to say i was never really happy with the amp even when I upgraded from a cheap 2nd hand tatty bass to a fender mexican precision special

So I've recently joined a new band and figure i need a to get myself an amp, i've played through a ton of heads at varios shops (never the best place to judge)
Out of the tc450 AND bh300, various ashdown offerings, mark bass Little Mark and fender combo I've can't get away from how good everything sounds played through the orange terror bass and SP210, the only thing that came close was the Ampeg portaflex PF500, but I only got to play this through the portaflex 15" cab and I've always had a thing against 15" cabs so at the moment it would take a hurd of bulls to dissuade me from the Orange Terror bass 5oo head

My Dilema is do I get the sexy looking matching Isobaric Cab that orange does (i only have the money left for one cab so ti's a choice between the SP212 or 212) Which have always sounded great when I played them in shops. my concern is will small cab like the SP210 really be able to pull of gigging in a live band situation and that

And then there's this nagging thought in the back of mind that I can't get away from 'What would the terror bass sound like through a barefaced compact'

Barefaced seem to get a lot of love round here and all I've heard is pretty rave review on the stuff although bigger than the SP210 it is lighter (which seems to get more important each year that goes bye)

Any views/opinions or directions appreciated

yea I'd read that thread before and a fair few of the others I'm pretty much spent the last week or more geeking out on here and talk bass

I guess I'm more interested in how the the terror bass head will sound through the compact
particularly in comparison to the SP210 (which is a sound I'm pretty hot on)

and also any benefits the compact may have over the SP210 and vice versa

Edited by matybigfro

Honestly it depends what kind of gigs you are going to be doing.

9/10 of my gigs are PA equipped and the cab is only providing monitoring so you don't need something huge with loads of possible volume, so a smaller cab will be sufficient.
The oranges will never be capable of serious volume due to size and IMO only have a better low end response (due to the double speakers) they never seemed louder than the Barefaced midget I had.

The barefaced range is better in every way, louder and lighter and you'll get better use out of the OTB500 with either the midget or the bigger cabs, depending on what you need for gigs. the compacts 15" driver is very good has great midrange punch and enough treble for most sound types.

The OTB500 however through the compact is very boomy, as the pre-amp is voiced to be very vintage has loads of bass and not much treble, also the DI is ridiculously hot for any applications and doesn't have it's own attenuation, which is bad if your gigs need DIing. I had this set up for some time before I got a Markbass then got the RH750.

The main reason I use a bigger Barefaced cab is that practice requires it, the drummer is loud and the guitarist recently got a much bigger amp and insists on having it as loud as possible.

If you give alex an email at barefaced then I'm sure he'll be happy to help.

[quote name='matybigfro' post='1273320' date='Jun 17 2011, 11:05 PM']yea I'd read that thread before and a fair few of the others I'm pretty much spent the last week or more geeking out on here and talk bass

I guess I'm more interested in how the the terror bass head will sound through the compact
particularly in comparison to the SP210 (which is a sound I'm pretty hot on)

and also any benefits the compact may have over the SP210 and vice versa[/quote]

Just to repeat myself from the other thread (already linked to) and following on from the thoughts of Prime_BASS on monitoring

My experience - I regularly use an OTB500 and SP210 cabinet for gigs and rehearsals. I've never played a gig with a drummer but without PA support which may be untypical but that is my situation. I use my amp to create the sound that is then put through the PA (either by DI or miccing the cabinet) I have it on an amp stand and it is a wonderful monitor, we rarely have any bass through the monitors as it fills the stages that we play. The DI [i]is[/i] hot but I have and will continue to use it with little trouble.

From what I've read about the Barefaced cabinets, they sound fantastic and I'd love to try one one day. Alex's writing (on here and in other places) is excellent and his cabinets are by all reports wonderful pieces of engineering. Plenty of people love the OTB and Barefaced combination and I'm sure it sounds great too.

Is there anyway in which you could try out a Barefaced cabinet? I think that's the only way you can make an informed decision.

Edited for foolish typing errors.

Edited by rOB

[quote name='matybigfro' post='1273167' date='Jun 17 2011, 08:52 PM']So I've been playing bass properly in bands for 2-3 years now after being a hamfisted guitarist with a spare bass lying around

In the first band I joined playing bass the keyboard player owned a bass amp so i played that for the 2 years I was with the band
it was one of those behrigner ultra bass heads (350 watt I think) and 15" inch cabs
I have to say i was never really happy with the amp even when I upgraded from a cheap 2nd hand tatty bass to a fender mexican precision special

So I've recently joined a new band and figure i need a to get myself an amp, i've played through a ton of heads at varios shops (never the best place to judge)
Out of the tc450 AND bh300, various ashdown offerings, mark bass Little Mark and fender combo I've can't get away from how good everything sounds played through the orange terror bass and SP210, the only thing that came close was the Ampeg portaflex PF500, but I only got to play this through the portaflex 15" cab and I've always had a thing against 15" cabs so at the moment it would take a hurd of bulls to dissuade me from the Orange Terror bass 5oo head

My Dilema is do I get the sexy looking matching Isobaric Cab that orange does (i only have the money left for one cab so ti's a choice between the SP212 or 212) Which have always sounded great when I played them in shops. my concern is will small cab like the SP210 really be able to pull of gigging in a live band situation and that

And then there's this nagging thought in the back of mind that I can't get away from 'What would the terror bass sound like through a barefaced compact'

Barefaced seem to get a lot of love round here and all I've heard is pretty rave review on the stuff although bigger than the SP210 it is lighter (which seems to get more important each year that goes bye)

Any views/opinions or directions appreciated[/quote]

I bought a Compact this week. You're welcome to come round and try it anytime. Don't know where you live - I'm in Stockport.

Steve

I'd be looking at the Midget rather than the Compact unless you're going for a very big wide bottom-heavy sound (*not because the Compact sounds like that but because it's not short of bottom and its smooth on top, whilst the OTB has very big lows and not a lot of top, so the sum can tend towards boom for some players) and the Midget will still play quite a lot louder and fatter than the SP212. There are quite a few very happy Barefaced + OTB customers, some of whom were previously using the SP210/212 cabs.

Email me for more extensive enlightenment based on your exact needs! If you want to try one, you have to buy one (unless you happen to find a kindly existing owner) - but if you don't like it it costs about £20 to return, so less than £1 a day if you keep it for the full one month trial.

Edited by alexclaber