Why become a member? ×

Jam night question

davethebassman

Yes..a little fee and a whip-round.

For the OP... to get him onside, ask him about his gear...and his thoughts on sound etc.
If nothing else..you may have made a useful bass-playing contact.

ha ha ..banned licks..!!! Red House, Sunshine etc ect ..!!!

[quote name='Conan' post='1265951' date='Jun 12 2011, 12:27 PM']Stormy Bloody Monday!! :)[/quote]

Suggested "Key To The Highway" the other night - had to show the house band the song.

Later in the evening Mustang Sally and Red House were slaughtered, yet again.

Thats when it's time for a smoke!

[quote name='Jazzneck' post='1265968' date='Jun 12 2011, 12:35 PM']Suggested "Key To The Highway" the other night - had to show the house band the song.[/quote]

Yeh, well, it's a bloody cheat innit?

You go along to hear some 12-bar blues played, and along comes a joker who only wants to play eight of 'em ...

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1265974' date='Jun 12 2011, 12:41 PM']Yeh, well, it's a bloody cheat innit?

You go along to hear some 12-bar blues played, and along comes a joker who only wants to play eight of 'em ...[/quote]

That's my problem - I haven't got past eight yet, but I'm working on it. :)

- that's why I go to jams cos you always learn something new and useful that you can probably use for your own gig whether its a lick, how to get sounds, gear and just the general advice and craik that you get from musos in a live playing environment!

Whilst I knew [u]how[/u] to play before coming to uni, it was mostly through going to the jazz society jam nights that I can now actually play properly with a band. It's a great learning experience, and don't worry about being a beginner, we all were at one time and so understand, if it's a good night you'll just end up getting tips and encouragement.

Edited by ZMech

[quote name='Johnston' post='1265284' date='Jun 11 2011, 07:43 PM']Ask Bilbo for what songs he refuses to play. Learn them and you'll have half a nights worth :) :)[/quote]

Sad but true.

Although, I will add, the OP knows arpeggios. At most jam sessions I have been to, most players would think arpeggios are an Italian starter. Or those small fishy things they put on pizzas?

I recommend the 'go along and watch' option first and you will get a sense of whether you are ready. A lot of the 'must know tunes mentioned above are thiungs I have never heard at jam sessions so there is clearly some regional variation and I guess this also varies venue to venue. If you are just wanting to 'have a go', speak to the band leaders ans tell them where you are at - if they can't find a niche for you, they are not doing what they are there to do.

Yes, definitely check it out in a non playing capacity for a session or two. Some of these things get a bit cliquey or there's political stuff going on that isn't obvious at first visit. Getting the lay of the land in advance can mean avoiding saying the wrong thing to the wrong person.
I have every admiration for people prepared to do a house band week in week out. You often end up playing the same thing with the same person week in week out. Considering how long some of them go on for they are not well paid gigs in reality.
I sometimes fill in for one on a Sunday afternoon. You need to be there at 2pm to set up gear, house band does about half an hour as a warm up and then you are trying to sort out other people, ends at 7pm and you start clearing gear away. I always enjoy it but I couldn't do it every week, especially taking up most of a Sunday.

If you have to play 'Chameleon', insist on going into the proper B and C sections regardless of what anyone else does. Especially if it's a jazz-type night and people are using real books, where those sections aren't even on the leadsheet. Loved doing that whether I was on bass or keys at my old jam! :)

I wouldnt worry about bringing your own bass unless you really want to. ANY jam ive been to the instruments have been readily available for joe public to use. Lets face it,,,,thats what they are there for!!!!!

Also make sure that before you start a song you all agree on,,,,,,make sure its the key in which you know it!!!!!!

The info on 12 bar blues is 100% correct. If you can do a 12bar shuffle then you should be ok.

and if you know Red house by Hendrix,,,,then play it if you want buddy. I think its a great song and enjoy playing it when required.

All this pish about dont do this dont do that!!!!!! If you want to do it then batter on. In reality nobody really cares all that much at these things. Its cheap/free entertainment for the pub and the usual folk that go to these have heard all the jam songs a million times before anyway. So have fun and dont be scared to go up.

We all started somewhere.