Why become a member? ×

Jeff Andrews

OzMike

I remember watching the full-length recording of a Mike Stern show from which this snippet is taken a few years back:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb6PkN5ezGc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb6PkN5ezGc[/url]

Amazing technique + improvising ability, and one of few bass players I can listen to and forget that it's 'only bass' they are playing ... the instrument disappears, leaving only notes...

Great, great bass playing, totally solid and rare to see someone solo with that much character and interest in their playing. I can't listen to Mike Stern for longer than a minute or so though, or Weckl either! Just not my kind of music, really jarring and uninteresting for me at least.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1264868' date='Jun 11 2011, 03:18 PM']Jeff Andrews is a great player-I love his playing with Vital Information,Michael Brecker and
Mike Stern. Especially Stern's 'Upside Downside' and 'Time in Place'.[/quote]

Funnily enough, I was reminded of Jeff Andrews by the Jaco thread - 'Mood Swings' (from 'Upside Downside') is one of my favourite tunes with Jaco on it. His tone was a little more rounded and not so quacky on this cut, IMHO.

Great video... it's this sort of thing which I tried to point out in the Jaco-topic, I've never seen or heard Jaco play these kind of long solo's leading to a great climax. Quite a lot of bass-players have taken the technique of Jaco to a higher level than the man did himself..

[quote name='Doddy' post='1264868' date='Jun 11 2011, 01:18 PM']Jeff Andrews is a great player-I love his playing with Vital Information,Michael Brecker and
Mike Stern. Especially Stern's 'Upside Downside' and 'Time in Place'.[/quote]

The late 80s was such a great time for 'fusion'- those 2 albums were/are so strong. I remember transcribing the lines from Gossip and Chromazone as part of my final College project.