Why become a member? ×

Homemade Badass V type Bridge

derreybass

Having seen the way Badass Bridges seem to be rocketing in price and not always convinced that they really do make a huge difference to the sound I thought I would have a go at making one.
It's made from brass, weighs about the same as a Badass and was considerably cheaper. The saddles are all hand filed to shape so are not exactly the same as each other. the brige is fitted to my Squire 5 sting which I use as a testbed for the odd mod. The only drawback was a milling machine was needed and I had to buy 10 grub screws which came to £4. I've included a couple of pics so anyone interested can see what it looks like. In case anyone wonders the sound as far as I can discern is not a lot different from using the original bridge, but I do like the look of Badasses. If anyone knows a source of springs for bridges I'd like to know as I had to use 2 for each saddle 'cause I couldn't find any long enough.
Thanks for looking

Edited by derreybass

[quote name='derreybass' post='1263451' date='Jun 9 2011, 11:45 PM']If anyone knows a source of springs for bridges I'd like to know as I had to use 2 for each saddle 'cause I couldn't find any long enough.[/quote]

Might be worth trying here - [url="http://www.airedalesprings.co.uk/compression-springs.php"]http://www.airedalesprings.co.uk/compression-springs.php[/url] (select 'standard compression springs' from the LH menu for details of spring lengths, diameter etc)

Thanks for all the comments I might give a 4 string version a try, only problem is they're a bit time consuming to produce and I don't want to infinge any copyrights. Thanks ikay the spring site looks to be most promising. Also added 2 more shots of bridge after it was polished

Edited by derreybass