Why become a member? ×

Sqiuer modified jazz

gary mac

I've seen so many favourable reviews of this bass in recent times, and thought it might fit the bill for me, for an economical back up bass.

So, a couple of days back I went to the local music shop to test drive one.

Got to say it was a very disappointing exercise. I understand that this is a budget model but the saddle screws were protruding to such an extent that it was very uncomfortable to play. Yes I know that they can be removed, cut down and refitted. The action was way too high, again, I know it's adjustable.

The strings just didn't resonate and I don't know if that would be solvable with a string change. I suspect that the strings were at fault, they looked, felt and sounded awful, but it may have been the nut and or bridge at fault. I pointed this out to the salesperson, who told me that the strings get corroded sometimes during shipping :)

To be fair he offered me a discount, but wasn't willing to change the strings. So I guess I'll never know, unless I risk a purchase and do the mods.

So, what do you think; was it just a ropey one or what you would expect from this model.

All the best Gary.

one that hasn't had any love in the shop and they don't give a ... just want to get rid of it and also have the cheek to want you to buy new strings too...

the strings that come with it are Fender strings... they're fine when they are cared for... nothing special though...

I suspect this bass has been there for some time and no-one's been cleaning the strings after they've been used...

[quote name='gary mac' post='145838' date='Feb 24 2008, 08:53 AM']Thanks for the replies chaps.
Think I will have to try out another one then.

Any recomendations for stockists around Herts/Essex?[/quote]

Mine's a good 'un.
Now wears a BadAss II and DR FatBeams plus a FatFinger.
Changed the control knobs to black Schaller ones with "dents" in so I could see how they're set.
Left it passive with original pick-ups in. Sounds great to me. Plays well, too.

Mine came from GAK and was ok from the box.

Essex / Herts?

PMT (Southend/Romford)
Allegro Music (Chelmsford / Colchester) The Chelmsford branch had one with a nice 2 piece body a few weeks back.

Try phoning to see if they've got them in stock...