Why become a member? ×

Double Bass Bargain

philw

Don't all bid at once...

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hand-Made-Double-Bass-Project-/290574935861?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Sting_Instruments&hash=item43a79da735#ht_12246wt_1066"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hand-Made-Double-Bas...ht_12246wt_1066[/url]

P

[quote name='ZMech' post='1263103' date='Jun 9 2011, 07:17 PM']Loving their use of a bass guitar nut, that's definitely gonna match the fingerboard radius well.[/quote]

I think my eyes are playing tricks, as the "radius" seems to be asymmetrical and have a sharp ridge running the length...

Edited by bartelby

[quote name='bartelby' post='1263340' date='Jun 9 2011, 09:58 PM']I think my eyes are playing tricks, as the "radius" seems to be asymmetrical and have a sharp ridge running the length...[/quote]

I agree it's a m*nger, but before you get too critical ... no your eyes aren't deceiving you. The sharp edge along the fingerboard you describe is a Romburg Bevel, designed to increase the vibrating area of the E string for increased volume. It's a pucker double bass design feature.

oops.

Now I feel superior, get me....

edit: Excellent, the profanity filter wouldn't let me say m*nger! Bet it won't say m*nge either. Or clunge. Ah. There, beat it.

Edited by PaulKing

[quote name='PaulKing' post='1265805' date='Jun 12 2011, 10:18 AM']The sharp edge along the fingerboard you describe is a Romburg Bevel,[/quote]
Good knowledge! Wasn't aware it actually had a name, will have to remember that one. Got to appreciate the adverts attempted use of those magical marketing words, 'hand made'.

Edited by ZMech

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='ZMech' post='1269611' date='Jun 15 2011, 07:43 AM']Got to appreciate the adverts attempted use of those magical marketing words, 'hand made'.[/quote]

You're surely not suggesting it came out of a CNC machine?

I dunno what you guys are bothered by really... could be an interesting project for someone who is into instrument DIY and with a bit of tidying result in a perfectly playable - if somewhat rustic-looking - EDB for not much money.

I didn't bid btw :)

ficelles