Why become a member? ×

Compressor advise needed

Neuroscar

Lately while watching videos of my band playing, i witness myself lacking in regards to dynamics.
Maybe its not that serious for a 3rd person (or maybe it is) but it is for me at least.
In order to fix that, much heavier practise is needed (of course) or maybe a compressor that would even my dynamics during the song.
Hopefully i got that one right on what compressors could be used for.
I used to be against that in the start and 100% pro natural playing, but just in case i needed one what would you suggest?

Im using an all tube amp, so i really dont need a compressor that adds warmth, or shapes up my sound. A crystal clear one would be the best, as im totally happy with my sound as it is.

I would really be interested in a kinda simple effect unit, that doesnt affect my sound at all (if possible), evens my dynamics (at least the lower ones), and possibly adds a bit of extra sustain.
And yeah, not really expensive :)

Edited by Neuroscar

[quote name='Neuroscar' post='1261224' date='Jun 8 2011, 02:19 PM']Lately while watching videos of my band playing, i witness myself lacking in regards to dynamics.
Maybe its not that serious for a 3rd person (or maybe it is) but it is for me at least.
In order to fix that, much heavier practise is needed (of course) or maybe a compressor that would even my dynamics during the song.
Hopefully i got that one right on what compressors could be used for.
I used to be against that in the start and 100% pro natural playing, but just in case i needed one what would you suggest?

Im using an all tube amp, so i really dont need a compressor that adds warmth, or shapes up my sound. A crystal clear one would be the best, as im totally happy with my sound as it is.

I would really be interested in a kinda simple effect unit, that doesnt affect my sound at all (if possible), evens my dynamics (at least the lower ones), and possibly adds a bit of extra sustain.
And yeah, not really expensive :)[/quote]
overdrive units are a type of compressor. keep input signal low and boost the output.

Thanks Simon very useful post =)
Straightened out a few minor questions i had.
And about Ovnilab, yeah i know this guy's site and gave the faq a few readings.
But there are so many reviews there.
I would just go for one though and as it seems lots of people suggest using the EBS.

[quote name='51m0n' post='1267030' date='Jun 13 2011, 10:12 AM']If you want a super simple crystal clear box then the TC Electronics NDY-1 Nova Dynamics would be great, it has a 3 band compressor designed to be transparent.[/quote]

And a much better pedal, in my opinion, than the EBS Mulicomp. Wouldn't be without mine.

D.

[quote name='73Jazz' post='1263378' date='Jun 9 2011, 10:32 PM']as a pedal i like the demeter compulator..easy and natural sounding
this link gives you a perfect overview as the reviewer definitely knows the stuff
have fun reading:)
[url="http://www.ovnilab.com/"]Ovnilab[/url][/quote]

+1 for the Demeter, you don't know is on until you turn it off it's so transparent.

When you say that your dynamics are all over the place, do you mean that your playing throughout songs is inconsistent in volume? e.g. some notes are way too loud and others are way too quiet? If it's not a physical problem with the bass (some are really not that even sounding all over the neck for various reasons), and it's not because of a variety of different techniques being used that have different volume requirements (e.g. tapping, fingers, pick, slap) then I'd suggest practicing to even your dynamics out. Get a compressor by all means, but work at evening out your technique as well so that you're not relying on the compressor to fix your bad habits. Just my 2p :)

The TC electronics one seems ok (with a an affordable price just like a used EBS), although i kinda dislike having to deal with that many knobs.
The nova dynamics is a bit too expensive.
@mcgraham: They're not really ALL over the place, just witnessing a volume loss at some points of my playing (usually when playing faster). But reading simon's post gave me a lot of hints about compressors and yeah you're right its all about sorting out your technique, relaxing and most importantly feeling sure about what you're playing (that comes with practise too).
Thanks for the replies btw.

No worries. It does happen and compressors really do help - they're clearly not a bad thing as studios and pro live engineers use them all the time... but they can be a crutch to many, and can really destroy what would otherwise be a great track. I personally hate the [i]feel [/i]of all but the lightest compression on bass or guitar, so never use it for that reason.