Why become a member? ×

I can has bass fuzz?

Toasted

So, this weekend I'm going to be making two fuzz pedals. One will be for myself and one for my good tone-friend / FX-nutter Jaffrey. I thought you all might like to see how I do it, where I mess up, and where I cover myself in glory. Also, probably where I hideously run over schedule. I've had this circuit on the breadboard a few times over the last little while and I really like it.

First up: Here's the parts, which I sourced from no less than 3 countries. I've chosen super-premium components, IMO the best that my money could buy. I'm using:

Hammond / Eddystone aluminium cast enclosure
100% full, mechanical, star-ground, true bypass w/ EHX switch
I'm making my own PCB's on 2oz Copper board w/ Extra Wide Traces (0.03", 0.05" ground)
Metal Film Resistors
Wima caps
Xicon mojo-components
Alpha Pots
Neutrik Open-Frame Jacks
German made 2.1mm 9V Jack
Green superbright LEDs
Mil spec solid core, low impedance wire
22 SWG solder.

If anyone has any suggestions for how to improve this spec I'd be geniunely interested to hear. Here's the bits:

I'm making 2 pedals this weekend if all goes to plan (I hope it does!). I'm interested in seeing how it goes... the circuit really does sound great to my ears and I'm looking for Jaff's input too. The only problems I see is the circuit board etching. It's not something that I have too much experience at, and something I'm looking forawrd to learning about more. My motto always has been: Learn by doing!

I generally find that once I've got the circuit and construction nailed by making two prototypes then it takes me about 2 hours to make one pedal (depending on the finish).

here's an update:

I've been struggling to fit what I want into the small enclosure in the layout I want. I'm going to have to spend significant time today / this weekend redesigning the circuit board, and I'm going to have a go at direct mounting the pots. At the moment it's 1.6" x 1.3"... I'm thinking about putting it on it's side in the enclosure like Zvex / Catalinbread do.

The control layout is going to be:

Stomp switch for on/off
Mini toggle for active/passive basses
Volume, Tone, Gate pots.

I spent all last night re-drawing the PCB to be vertical rather than horizontal, and also direct-mounting the pots to the PCB [i]a la[/i] Zvex / Catalinbread / MI Audio. I'm really happy with how that worked out, infact I like this revised layout significantly better than I like my original layout. The more I draw them the more I find circuit boards are an iterative process, and also that it's really about getting your components lined up in the correct order before drawing traces. I'm obviously not teaching my granny to suck eggs, but evertime I do another PCB I'm more happy with it than the last.

This is the first "vertical" board that I've designed - I'm going to rework my other circuits to be like that. The benefit of having the PCB on its side is that it leaves alot more room in the enclosure for the other components.

I've also revised my control layout to not need a microswitch to change between active and passive basses. This fuzz will now work with either.

Although I've not done it for ages, I can remember the satisfaction of deisgning (simple) PCBs and optimising them. Your right about it being an iterative process. It takes a while to get into the right mindset for doing PCBs so your first attempt might not be the best. If you do it again soon after, you're already thinking the right way it and the design benefits from this.

I remember designing a whole mixing desk (for myself !) while on a work placement at a big electronics company. I was going to build it mainly from knock-off components lying around but, sadly, it never got past the design stage. Good fun though - especially the thought of getting it all for free.

[quote name='Toasted' post='154357' date='Mar 10 2008, 08:52 AM']Not this weekend, but I did do a little project on a DOD250 that I'm going to write up when I get home from work and post here. I think you'll like it :)[/quote]

Whassat then? Modded mine for true bypass with LED, 2.1mm dc plug and changed the first cap for more bass. Sounds good. :huh:

• 1 month later...

I put that one hold for now. It'll resume really soon.

I did build something this weekend, it's a no-knob BYOC ESV Fuzz with some Jack Orman / Beavis Audio mods:

Check out the LED function @ [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XiSQoMgBTk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XiSQoMgBTk[/url]