Why become a member? ×

Thinking of getting a Jaydee Bass

kevin_lindsay

I had John Diggins make me a gorgeous GA24 bass back in the mid 1980's and it was a fantastic bass. I still love that old Jaydee sound and am seriously considering getting another Jaydee (probably a 'Mark Xkong' style Supernatural this tome around).

Good idea? Opinions please guys.

Very good idea, I finally got a JayDee (mid 80's pearl green Series III) after yearning for one for some 25+ years and I love everything about it. :)
Are you thinking used or new? The waiting times made the new option infeasible for a gas-addict such as myself. :)

I'm getting a Mark King Series 3 bass for my birthday in a few weeks. I want a 5 string Jaydee.

I love the instruments, they're second to none.

John is a fantastic guy, and a great luthier. I think the current wait time is approaching two years, but they're well worth the wait.

He was telling me a couple of years ago that he's busier now than in the 80's.

Are you thinking secondhand or straight from JD? A buddy of mine had one up for sale recently and it was a killer funk machine, not my kind of thing (I prefer clunky things like Rics / P-Basses) but he was asking a very reasonable price for it considering how damn fine it was. Not amny turn up S/H tho, there was a real cool white one on here, the Starchild one (was that your Soliloquy?)

[quote name='Stag' post='1260358' date='Jun 7 2011, 09:54 PM']Are you thinking secondhand or straight from JD? A buddy of mine had one up for sale recently and it was a killer funk machine, not my kind of thing (I prefer clunky things like Rics / P-Basses) but he was asking a very reasonable price for it considering how damn fine it was. Not amny turn up S/H tho, there was a real cool white one on here, the Starchild one (was that your Soliloquy?)[/quote]

It was mine yes !

I sold it to help my brother out of a crisis, but promised myself another. I'm getting a Series 3 in Cherry red :).

I've got one sitting in it's case...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=123840&hl=jaydee"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...0&hl=jaydee[/url]

I've arranged for it to go up to John at Jaydee at the end of the month to have a second p/up installed - have a look at the pics ....I can't find a mark on it - serial No 7163 - made in 1987 - 163rd to be made...

Let me know if you're interested...

Great for certain types of music, but i sold mine (Roadie 2A) as it lacked the right sound for my bands (rock/blues etc). It was a great bass and played like butter - I bought it (and my Status Kingbass) during my L42 phase (a band that i'm still very fond of) - echo the fact that John is a super guy. I miss the looks and playability, but not the sound.

If i was playing funky/soul etc - i'd have another one tomorrow.

Cheers

Graeme

If you can afford it, go for it, great value and it will be beautiful.

I agree that these are suitable for certain sounds and not others, I've had my Roadie 1A for nearly 30 years, the bass control is almost always turned 90% up. Did some recording and some was rejected due to the bass sound. It was this which caused me to buy a Pre-EB Stingray and, boy what a difference, effortless power. However, it can't do the complex Jaydee sound and the neck on the Jaydee is so fast. Its a bass which is full of life and kind of strains on the lead if you see what I mean, no stodge or thud here.