Why become a member? ×

Eating Fender USA-shaped humble pie...

OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='Tee' post='144358' date='Feb 21 2008, 01:28 PM']I here you OTPJ. I had a Geddy and it wasn't great, output wise (not to mention the dodgy tuners imo). Suffice to say, my 99 MIM Jazz was a lot better (wish i hadn't sold it).

A lot of people here seem to like US Fender-bashing, i imagine due to the price tag. Yes, Japanese Fenders are built superbly but in my experience having owned both Japanese and US basses, i have to say i am a US fan.[/quote]
As an aside to the above If you log onto www.bassplayer.tv Geddy states that the new GL Jazzes will have upgraded tuners.

Nice Bass Rich. I also had a long 'hate' relationship with MIA Fender. Always felt they were lightweight compared with MM and a bit overpriced. However second hand they make a good deal. The S1 2004 Precision I've got is a keeper and has replaced my Thumb BO4 as my main gigging bass, mainly because it's got that old-school vibe and balances much better (doesn't compare for slap/pop tho lol).

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='145549' date='Feb 23 2008, 12:40 PM']just seen the pics - in the top and bottom ones the colour looks a bit like the MIM 5 string you had - and in the middle one more like chrome red or candy apple red,very nice with the maple board. I like it[/quote]

[b]Yes mate, it does look very different in various light sources. Looks more Candy/Chrome red in artificial light, but in natural light you can see it's the Candy Cola one straight away. Not as dark as my midnight wine 5-er.[/b]

[quote]Nice Bass Rich. I also had a long 'hate' relationship with MIA Fender. Always felt they were lightweight compared with MM and a bit overpriced. However second hand they make a good deal. The S1 2004 Precision I've got is a keeper and has replaced my Thumb BO4 as my main gigging bass, mainly because it's got that old-school vibe and balances much better (doesn't compare for slap/pop tho lol).[/quote]

[b]Thanks, Mart! It certainly has taken a while to find a good one! BTW, Sound Control have bought up the last batches of S1 basses & they're selling them at £699. Jump in while they're there![/b]

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='146720' date='Feb 25 2008, 04:41 PM'][b]Thanks, Mart! It certainly has taken a while to find a good one! BTW, Sound Control have bought up the last batches of S1 basses & they're selling them at £699. Jump in while they're there![/b][/quote]
Not bad price but I think I'd have a crack with a Lakky JO4 or DJ4 before I bought another Fender Jazz! Gotta admit the quality of the Skylines is good (if a bit clinical).